maize

j green

hi everyone

does anyone have any veiws on maize and how good it is and how to use it tacticly, would you use it as a single maize on an hair rig or 2 on an hair or maybe three on an hair rig or would you use it over a pva bag of pellets or maize.what.

thanks

j.green

It all depends on the water, for a silty or muddy bottom I would be tempted to use one grain and one grain of pop-up maize (enterprise tackle make it) over a light scattering of free maize, there's little chance of the carp filling up on corn and maize and they love to 'browse' over an area, some other mixed particles or just hemp will add to their interest in your swim, the popped-up hookbait /should/ stand out amongst the rest.

For a gravel or sandy bottom I would use 1 or 2 real grains, again amongst a scattering of freebies...by a 'scattering' I mean a kilo spread over a fairly big area, about 15 feet by 15 feet.

I tend to use PVA bags to achieve high concentrations of food in a small area where there are lots of carp, again I would put in a kilo or two of prepared maize but keep the area down, as small as you can get it, this is where baitboats are ideal, but cost a small fortune.

15th try for a screenname:

popped-up hookbait /should/ stand out amongst the rest.

the popped-up hookbait /should/ stand out amongst the rest.

allthough I agree to a point where the popped up hookbait will stand out, I also feel this method spooks a wary carp... I dont disagree with your comment but I feel if your targeting a certain fish then popups is not the way IMO... reasoning naturallity (hey everyones tea tastes different, dont let anyone tell you its raining when peeing down your back)

[ 31. August 2005, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

In relation to maize itself, I’ve found it to be a devastating carp bait, and I prefer it over sweetcorn as the bream and tench don’t tend to bother with it as much as corn. I always use it in a particle mix or with hemp, never just on its own – don’t know why but my results have always been better that way.

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Hi Jim,

As stated really. Compared to the amount of tench, bream and the odd roach I pick up whilst fishing for carp on corn, I get a fraction of the amount when fishing with maize, thus I much prefer maize when specifically targeting carp.

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

quote:

Originally posted by Common 40:

allthough I agree to a point where the popped up hookbait will stand out, I also feel this method spooks a wary carp... [/QB]

I don't know if I've over snipped the quoting here :rolleyes:

I agree that wary carp are easily spooked but without knowing the water, I'd be tempted to take popup maize as a 'just in case', one water I fish is only 4ft deep, crystal clear and with 4 inches of blanket weed at the bottom :mad: you can drop the bait right in front of them ...and then it sinks into the weed Ggrrr! I've been experimenting with pva foam etc and have had a bit of success but I'm still catching more weeds than carp.