Higham Farm, Alfreton

Dan G

I'm heading back to see my parents next weekend up in Sheffield and i remember fishing at Higham 15 years ago. It was great then. On one visit, I had 10 or so carp to 15lbs on floating dog biscuits when I was 13... down hill since then! :D

A few questions for anyone in the know:

a) Is it still open?

B) Does it still operate day tickets?

c) Any rules I should know about?

d) Does it still fish well?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan I have fished it twice recently around three weeks ago and a couple of weeks before that. The first time I fished the lake on the right as you go into the car park on the first peg. Caught a couple of dozen roach to about six ozs. then had a tench of around 4lbs as I had decided to pack up. Had to have just one more cast and hooked another good fish which snapped me, probably a carp judging by the way it took off. The second time I caught roach and small perch all day on and off on the lake on the left as you drive in. Apparently some bream had been caught by a carper abd some carp had been taken off the surface during the previous week. Just the chap who collects the tickeet money, really helpful. I only get to fish it occasionally and then usually with mag and wag and/or feeder when we stay with family in Ripley as I live in Norfolk but I have never blanked although neither have had anything really big, still, nice place that I enjoy fishing.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Pete

Pete

I finally made the decision to go to Higham farm. The going was very slow - one rod legered pellet, the other float fished sweetcorn. I was also tossing in the occassional dog biscuit. At lunch time, a carp decided to start taking the mixers and following swapping my legered pellet for a rubber mixer and controller, I was rewarded with this 13lb mirror - lovely golden colour - in great condition. Then, as quick as it came, nothing again. Not one more dip of the float or buzz on the bite alalrm and no more cruising fish... still, more than pleased. I think anyone thinking of going should be aware that at the moment its muddier than the somme and I think i'll be waiting until it gets a bit drier to head back... particularly after spending this morning hosing ALL my gear down, due to it being covered in clay!

post-5029-1239555303_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Dan

Good looking fish Dan, They are usually in excellent nick there. I went yesterday and had a cracker. Fished groundbait feeder about 15 yards out and float in front. very slow start with not a touch for over an hour, then started to get small roach and a couple of skimmers on the float with just two small roach on the feeder, all on maggot. fist decent fish after around three hours was a tench of around 3lbs followed by a bream that must have at least six and probably somewhat heavier. Next up was a superb Crucian in perfect condition at around 3 lbs, I kid you not and the best I have ever seen let alone caught, then another at about 2lbs. I had another three tench on the feeder between 3 and 5lbs plus two more the best could have six lbs on the float tight against the bank. In all I must have had 3 or four dozen roach with a few perch on float in total. Typically I hadn't got the scales nor did I have the camera. There were some carp on top but I hadn't bothered to put the carp rod in and a waggler with 2lb bottom is hardly being tooled up for double figure carp. It really is a great place, picturesque and very quiet apart from the odd train going by but as you say, muddy when wet! I left the wife in Derbyshire so I have to go back on Saturday to collect her (I ain't daft) so I might just manage another visit then!!! Have we got the juices going James?

Hehe, I always want to get back to more fishing but now only owning a motorbike it'll be harder but I've put measures in place today with some new rods which cost me a bit (I won't say how much but the other half wasn't impressed ;) ) , one is a 4pce 11ft avon rod and the other a very light 3pce 12ft float rod which may be possible to somehow take with me on the bike. Waters around me are all quite pricey club waters or pricey commercials but travelling a bit further afield has some cheap/free places but I rely on my brother to pick me up as he owes me a few lifts from when he hadn't passed his test.

We hope to be moving to Belper/Matlock/Duffield sort of area by late summer and your last post certainly got the mouth watering, I love fishing for when you never know what you are going to get next, normally a rod out on a feeder/leger with an alarm and then a nice simple waggler setup for close in fishing which I always enjoy no matter what I takes the bait. The best bit is I'll be working part time hopefully when we move so more time to get some fishing done :D

James