Back line clips

Hi Jonathan

I believe people generally use line clips near to the reel nowadays so the hanger sits with the correct angle to minimise resistance and maximise bite detection as most long rage rods the first eye ends up in front of the buzzer.

Originally though they were used so people could fish with the bail arm open with monkey climber bite indicators and without the risk of line spilling off the reel in wind and causing a tangle this was in the days before baitrunners and good clutches had been designed.

How effective were any of our rigs back then lol but Peter please put me out of my misery what the hells a sliding rig :)

Sorry for the late reply Dante, the confusion stems from my terminology of rigs. What I tend to call a sliding rig you no doubt call a running rig.

I use sliding/running rigs extensively & very rarely suffer dropped runs, which if you listen to some quarters I should. Perhaps it's my use of the butt clip that pulls that hook a little further into the lip of the Carp. Then again maybe they'd just keep on going whether or not the clip was in use.

Perhaps I should experiment, but that feels like looking for a problem I haven't got!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Sorry for the late reply Dante, the confusion stems from my terminology of rigs. What I tend to call a sliding rig you no doubt call a running rig.

I use sliding/running rigs extensively & very rarely suffer dropped runs, which if you listen to some quarters I should. Perhaps it's my use of the butt clip that pulls that hook a little further into the lip of the Carp. Then again maybe they'd just keep on going whether or not the clip was in use.

Perhaps I should experiment, but that feels like looking for a problem I haven't got!

Ah right all becomes clear :lol: , i use running rigs a lot now on smaller waters and i dont think i have any aborted runs on it, normally in fact when they go they normally scream off, i have also been experimenting with a confidence type rig (from the late 70's) using a tightish bead that sits on my leader (rod side of the lead) set at 3 - 12 inches from the swivel so they run and wack all of a sudden the lead hits the bead which drive the hook home, so far results have been good and in testing this looks to be as safe as any other rig, in clear water anyway.

Indeed Peter if it aint bust dont fix it :D:D