Longford Lake, Chipstead.

Gaffer

A fellow carper (a freind of mine) has been tackling Longford lake, Chipstead, and needs some help.

Has anyone fished this lake with any success, and what is the best way to approach it?

I'd be very grateful for any info received, even by email if you wish. mailto:www.gaffer@anglersnet.co.ukwww.gaffer@anglersnet.co.uk

[ 23. January 2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

I fished it for about 5 years. Got to know it very well. Even caught a few fish from it. I've not fished it for a couple of years, but i'm probably re-joining next season.

I found, in general the best way was to spend a bit of time there watching the margins from high up if poss (tell him to look along Snaggy Bank, up to the conrete). If you spot where the fish are patrolling (they circle the areas where they are feeding), start to get a bit of bait down onto their route. Follow normal pre-baiting patterns and the fish wil get on the bait. Once they are on the bait, expect multiple catches, in short bursts (two runs within minuites, my best was three fish on the bank at the same time (three runs in 10 minuites).

Get it right and it's a great water, but if you're expecting loads of fish, forget it. Get it wrong and you'll get very depressed.

If you give your mate my e-mail, I can send him more info, with specific guidance. Or shall I just send it to you?

One final note, if he ever hears anyone say they are an "Expert" on the place, they are telling porkies. You have to play the fish's game on that water. It's much easier than trying to get them to play yours!!

There could be a very nice surprise for SOMEONE fishing Chipstead one day.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

I agree with Dunks reply and have been fishing Longford Lake all season landing 5 carp to 23lb. Lost a few between june and september due to the snags and weed. Top rod last year took 14 carp to 29lb since last easter. The 29lb'er being the biggest REPORTED.

Longford Lake 1.1 mile long, 70ish acres, depths up to 90 feet!!

Everyone i talk to that knows Longford says they have seen HUGE carp although i have yet to meet anyone who has caught one!! But then you never know, eh!

All the fish i have seen have been in perfect condition, all 4 barbels, no split fins etc.

Longford fish do not show themselves very often, i have fished 2 or 3 nights every week this season and have only seen 4 fish lunk, two of which i caught within minutes, so as Dunk said, find the fish and you will catch.

Will email U my mobile # if you want more info or a guest ticket just call me.

Sid

It's nice to see another Chipstead fan. Yes, there are HUGE fish in Chipstead and I fully agree that the 29 could be the biggest "reported".

The original fish are Leney shaped, whereas there seems to be a 2nd generation of fish which are a bit more torpedo shaped and lighter in colour. The older fish tend to move around together.

The small lake had an introduction of quite a few fish from Kent breeder, Ken Crow. I caught a few of these to about 4lb after they'd been in the small lake for a year. It's probable that some of these have now washed into the big lake. If so, they'll be well into double figures now. That'll be three different strains of carp in the big lake now.

All the fish I caught were gorgeous, especially an 18lb common, which was simply the best looking carp I've ever seen on the bank. My best session was 7 fish in three days.

If you find a patrolling route, keep the bait going in even when not fishing it. You can probably average a fish a night that way. They don't all get caught at night, a lot of mine came in short evening sessions in the summer, or in the mornings before work after single night sessions.

As far as catching one of the biggies, well how does a 100 yard run against a fairly tight clutch sound?

It's possible we met on the bank Sid.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org