Hooklengths

PRESTON

always make my own, once used readymade rigs on a water with an on site tackle shop as i'd left all materials at home, and lost a good fish [they always are] when the hook came away from the link and yes i did test it before chucking out

there is no 1 hook/rig combination that will catch in ALL situations, by taking a varied type of hooklength materials, you can turn those little twitches into good takes

Hi ... I always make my own rigs.

If you have just started carp fishing then some of the ready bought rigs are ok.

I would recommend you start making your own rigs as soon as you feel confident enough. It is very satisfying catching carp with your own rigs and a great way to experiment with different variations.

OUTrageous

Preston,

When I first went carping I used shop bought rigs but I very quickly moved over to making my own. One thing nowadays is that rigs can look damn complicated whereas in reality the simple rigs still work fine and I would guess the majority of anglers use a fairly straightforward braided hair rig.

I would suggest buying a couple to see how they're made or better still get someone to show you how they tie their own rigs. You will get more satisfaction out of tying your own plus you can make them exactly as you want them.

Rob.