Anybody fishing the weekend?

purseyl

Not the weekend, but will be at Lake Michigan Mon-Friday. Winter has finaly crept back under it's rock, the rivers are in flood, and the carp are staging to run the rivers...best chance at a 50 this year will be this week, I think.

However, will be happy with anything over 35.

Let us know how it worked out Nightwing. I imagine the sows may be holding at the last major break before getting into the river proper. Maybe 20-30 feet deep?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

No go Today...no carp at least.

Could not get to the lake proper as the surf was washing over the piers..so I fished the River about a quarter mile up, along millionairs row(named so due to how much the homes in the area cost...)

Few pics from todays action(or lack thereof..)

View from the end of the rip rap wall, looking east up the channel toward Lake Macatawa:

May24_032b.jpg

Who needs rod pods!

May24_026b.jpg

Looking over my shoulder west, toward the pierheads and Lake Michigan.

May24_028b.jpg

At least something liked my new boilie recipe..

May24_031b.jpg

purseyl - Lake Michigan is large. Here is a pic of the lake (yellow) and the nation of Israel (blue) for comparison.

lakemich.gif

No one has any clue how large the carp in that lake get though.

The other lake is lots smaller but since it empties into Lake Michigan, still no way to say how large the carp might get.

an-lk-macatawa.jpg

[ 25. May 2004, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

purseyl:

How big is the lake you fished Nightwing and are there many big carp in there, Whats the biggest?

Tight lines

Luke

Lake Mac is about 1,800 acres. It has both resident and transient(from Lake Michigan) fish, many of which grow to good size.

Impossible to say what the largest are, but the average fish in there is around 20-25 lbs, and fish into the upper 30's are common.

MUCH larger fish are taken on occasion, however...I have seen a 60(dead, unfortunatly), and 50's are netted yearly at the Mouth of the Black river(which feeds the lake).(it is legal here to net carp, as they are considered a nuiscance species by our government).

So...If pressed, I would guess that at any given time, there are a small number of 50 lb fish in the small lake, along with some 40's and a very large population of fish from 20+ ....and who knows what out in Lake Michigan.

And this is just one of dozens of such harbour lakes that line our coast.

[ 25. May 2004, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Nightwing ]

Nightwing - all commons or do you have some mirrors up there?