Using a 'surface controller'

Pangolin

I've fished with floating baits, at close range, before, but I decided one of these surface controllers would give me a better chance of casting to where I could see fish feeding. My first trial was, however, unsuccessful: this was probably because I didn't use the controller as intended! Firstly, how do you prevent the controller siding down onto your hook? I started by pinching a shot onto the line, much as you would with a waggler, but it tended to drag the line under and, eventually, the bait. I then knotted a piece of elastic band onto the line, to make a stop: this seemed to work well. As the float was at some distance, I decided that I wanted to use it to indicate a bite, so I put on another rubber-band stop above the float. I used a tail of around three foot of greased monofil. I had several takes, which twitched the float, but which were dropped by the fish. I also thought the splash from the float was spooking the fish, so I was casting and letting the breeze drift the float to where I wanted. Hitting bites became even more difficult, because of the amount of slack line. Has anyone used controller floats successfully, who would be prepared to offer advice?

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Hiya mate

Il try to take some time here to try to explain to the best of my ability how to use the controller successfully.

Firstly i would always carry a range of different controllers, as carp can become wary of a certain type, for e.g, the fox type as these are a very popular controller. I always carry at least three types, from fox bubble floats to Kryston Driftwood. Always a safe bet is the gardner type in the green, as they just look like a bit of weed on the surface and lie on their side, but come in 3 different sizes and cast well too.

The Set up-this is a very basic, but a very effective way of setting the controller rig up.

Firstly i put a medium size float stop onto my 10lb Top line monofilament.

Secondly i slide up my chosen controller float to the float stop.

Thirdly i tie onto the line a size 10 swivel. After that i simply tie on between 4-8foot of drennan double strength monofilament(in my opinion the strongest and least visible mono on the market for floater fishing), either in the 8lb or 12lb dependant on the fishing situation.I then tie on the chosen hook to suit the surface bait. Dont forget to grease the line, i use fly line grease.

You will find that if you cast this rig past the fish and retrieve in very, very slowly,almost so it doesnt look like its moving, to the fish they will take it with great confidence if you have the fish feeding well.

Dont wait for the float to move, as soon as you see the carps mouth take the surface bait(i sometimes use binoculars to aid my eyesight), srtike!! not to hard, just enough to set the hook well home. Always have the drag set so the fish can take line as they will always go on mad runs when hooked on the surface.

Hope this information is of some use, let me know how you go on,just getting my gear ready now myself to go fishing, as tommorow is June 1st!!

If you need any more info, dont hesitate to ask!

Chris

I decided to use the controller float as a bite indicator partly because these daft carp often swirl at a floating bait, but miss it. I'd be sriking every 20 seconds or so if I didn't have some way of telling me that the bait was in the fishes mouth!

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

you will get it sorted and find your preferred way/controller. When you get a positive take it is heart pumping stuff, my PB was taken off the top on double mini marshmallow. It is my favourite way of catching and always when the situation is right fish off the top. I have taken fish as late in the year as october on surface baits. Good luck and dont put out a bait with a hook in out too soon, always get the fish feeding confidently first.

Fishing from on the surface is my favorate way to fish, what knapper said is spot on, using a variaty of floats is a good tactic and striking when you see the bait taken is always best. but the problem is as you said the swirling makes it very unclear as when to strike, particulary if your fishing at a distance.

I like to bait up with dog biscits but use a bright colour pop-up boilie or artificial bait on a hair, this is the one way ive found the bites easier to spot.

I also find that if your bait is positioned next to or in lily pads the fish are more confident and approach and take the bait slower.

Like you Pangolin I suffered at first with getting out with the controller - and it seems the fish can be very wary of them. I try to cast accross the edge of a lilly pad and bring the controller up on top of it. Savage takes ensue but you must get'em away from the weed quick!

Also try a nice big chunk of bread - dip it just before casting and you can freeline it quite some distance.

I'm after some of that 'plastic' bread this season as it stays on & the flying rats don't like it!

With 'striking' I mostly wait a sec or two until I see the line move or slide (using bino's if req) If not I seem to whip it out from carpy's open mouth. Very similar to the 'fly fisher's delay. I've often left a floating bait and seen the same fish 'take' it many times before it finaly engulfs the bait and I tighten to the fish. Good luck

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Went fishing today using a surface controller but with a banded sinking halibut pellet 6 inches underneath. This is a good method if there are carp in shallow parts of a lake. I took 3 carp on this method 10, 8, 7 pounders and lost about 5 others