Medusa!

Neal

Neal, if you set up a 'D' rig (Stiff Hinged Pop-up) you can sew a dozen or so maggots onto some cotton, as Dunk has said, then gently tie them onto the sliding ring. It's dead easy on only take a minute or two.

I've got some pics at home on the 'D' rig, I'll see if I can fish them out later this evening.

Okies mate thanx, I think I get the idea, I dont know why I didnt think about this method before, could be very useful :D

Hi Neal, the 'D' rig is an anti-eject rig, which incorperates a sliding ring on a 'D' shaped part of the rig.

Once hooked most rigs can be ejected by the carp by forcefully blowing out the hookbait, which in turn pulls the hook out of the carps mouth.

With the 'D' rig however the hook stays put and the hookbait is blown down to the bottom of 'D' part. With the bait at the bottom of the 'D' the hook is then very difficult to eject because of the angle of the hookbait in relation to the hook. I hope that makes sense, it's very easy to show, yet very difficult to explain!

Below is the easiest way to make a 'D' rig.(utilising the Knotless-knot)

D%20rig.jpg

This finished 'D' rig is make from black Amnesia.

HPup.jpg

Incidentally I now use ESP Stiff Rig hooklink material (25lb) and instead of a double ring for the hinge I use a swivel & ring.

Hope that helps.

[ 11. March 2003, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

cheers gaffer, makes sense mate, will be tying one or two of these in the week and then give them a go after work.

There's no reason why it wouldn't work anywhere.

On canals I opt for fishing in the marginal sediment, sometimes in only 8 to 10 inches of water.

My reason for fishing in such shallow areas is that I witnesses 20lb+ carp swimming into these shallow areas and 'beaching' themselves in the process. Their backs could clearly be seen out of the water.

They would then back up and do it a few more times. After a while it became apparent that the carp were dislodging the sediment and stiring it up in the hunt for food.

I fished big bunches of maggots, some Medusa style and some sewn onto a 'D' rig, both ways in these shallow areas and produced good fish.

Both approaches worked well because as the carp stirred up the sediment the hookbaits 'hung' for a while before settling, making them look/behave very natural.

Hope that helps.

[ 12. March 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

Good, easy, and IMO more effective, substitute for glue is Baitstick .

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President