Starting Carping

Danny K

a friend of mine has just started himself,he went out and bought a complete 2rod set up including pod alarms and even pre made hair rigs from badger for about £99...one more thing,once youve been and cought youll be hooked for life.i cant remember the last weekend i spent with my wife.....tight lines. :P

I bought a massive kit from my tackle shop for £200 and the contents were of better quality and more of it. You will be better going down to your local(no not the pub) and ask for a qote on a selection of carping kit for your dosh (if your tackle shop man is a good chap he'll knock some of if you buy alot :D

Regards

Capwiz

Cant go wrong with some of them Okuma reels, The dyna drag is only 19.99, that is fantastic value! Another idea is instead of buying a pod unless it is necessary e.g fishing waters with gravel banks, just but four same bank sticks. You dont wanna get all the latest gear, only to find that you dont enjoy the sport. Start off small and work your gear upwards, thats part of the fun in my opinion. I started using two 1 and three wuarted pound rods with the old silstar original bait feeders and a pair of bitec vipers, that was a great first set up. For a 100 quid you can get good mail order deals these days.

One word of advice.

Be very carefull of what you buy from Badger. The quality is not as it should be on some items but there are a few things that are ok.

Look on sites such as E-Bay for second hand tackle as you can pick up some quality items.

If you cant afford certain things then save hard...its worth the wait.

Think about what you actually want to do with the tackle. By this I mean will you be able to use the tackle for any thing else.

Good tackle isn't cheap. You get what you pay for, so don't buy the first thing you see.

I bought a twin set of rod and reels that i use for carping and piking. I always try to buy tackle that is compatable too, two identical reels means four spools, this can give you an advantage in choice of line/braid when you get to the bank.

The artcile in this weeks Anglers Mail is really good.

Finally don't think you have to have all the new gear on the bank. I still sit on my eight year old shakespeare box under a brolly! Bivvies and beds are great for long night sessions but they are not essential.

Let us know how you get on.

Later dude

Danny K:

I want to start carp fishing, but what kind of tackle and bait will i need ??

don't follow the crowd and end up another angler purely stuck behind two rods all weekend without understanding the basics of fish behaviour. get stalking, you'll learn a lot more about patrol routes, feeding patterns etc. and become a better angler as well. for the price of a cheapy "beginners carp set" you could get a good quality but cheap reel, emblem s (leslies of luton i think were doing them for £48) or bottom of the range baitrunner etc, a mid range rod (£60 - 80), net (cheapest jrc 42" one is about £30, mat (£15 - £30), bulk spool of line (daiwa sensor is cheap £8) and some basic rig bits (£30 tackle shop can advise). all you need then is a small rucksack.

for cheap bait try corn or worms etc. go to a fairly easy water find fish in the edge (be a bit stealthy) get em feeding and choose an opportune moment to pop your bait amoungst them.

with reasonable quality kit like this you can add to it later to get a session orientated set up (add another matching rod and reel, some banksticks, cheap buzzers, hangers, bedchair,and brolly) as well and get more years use out of it.

good luck and have fun.

cheers

erik

[ 02. May 2003, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: erik ]