North west wales?

norfolkfisher

Anyone fished over there? i'm at the point of mulling over license renewal, and as im not sure what the fishings like over there i'll wait to decide until i know a bit more!

So are there many decent places to fish? i'm talking between the mountains/snowdon to anglesey right in the north west corner.

Guest tigger

I used to live in Anglesey and the coarse fishing isn't up to much in my opinion. It's better for game fishing and sea fishing. I didn't bother with coarse fishing when I was there and just fished the sea. There are a couple of commercials on Anglesey if you like that sort of thing. If I where you I'd concentrate on the sea. I can tell you a few good Bass spots if you like.

The obvious choice over that way is Lyn Y Gors in Anglesey but then you also have Conwy water gardens on the north coast too.

I fish the river Dee up by Wrexham which isnt too far off if you're willing to get in the car for half an hour, the River Alyn feeds into this and thats a lovely little stream. Bala lake is just stunning and there's some fantastic natural sport to be found there. I forget the name but there's another fishery just down the road from Bala thats also supposed to pretty good.

Just a short trip over the other side of the national park is the River Cain, Vyrnwy and Banwy to name a few.

You're spoilt for choice if you're prepared to get out and explore really; its a lovely part of the country. Im quite envious.

Thanks! Well im not really a fan of commercials, i'd rather be on a river or somewhere more wild anyway.. and sea fishings something i want to have more of a crack at, but only on light gear, close to shore type fishing.. but if theres anywhere close in to spin for bass, pollack etc. id like to give it a go (not a clue how yet though!)

But yeah it does look lovely up there though i thought there'd be a few hidden lakes/rivers up in the mountains? but i dont fancy paying game fishing prices, and ideally i wouldnt have to travel too far as i'd only be able to fish the odd evening or when time allows.

Also anyone done the shark fishing trips off wales? must be an experiance to catch a blue shark...

Also anyone done the shark fishing trips off wales? must be an experiance to catch a blue shark...

Have I missed some recent development? I thought the only places to catch blues were Cornwall and the West of Ireland.

There's plenty of tope fishing round that area though, Cardigan Bay is the hotspot.

If you are into river float fishing then your best bet might be mullet. Because of the nature of the land, most of the rivers above the tidal limits are shallow, trouty places.

Have I missed some recent development? I thought the only places to catch blues were Cornwall and the West of Ireland.

There's plenty of tope fishing round that area though, Cardigan Bay is the hotspot.

No, you can get Blue sharks down on the pembrokeshire coast. I dont think its a patch on Cornwall but you can definately get them.

I've had a pleasant time here.. www.gwerydlakes.co.uk/fishing

or a look here may give you some ideas: http://www.fishing.visitwales.com/EN/Default.aspx?n1=5

I've done a bit of fishing at Lake Vyrnwy, it's boat hire and trout only on the fly, but it was a great day and you're left in peace.

Lake Bala was also really enjoyable except for the tourists.

The Llangollen canal at Chirk isreally good fun, but I would love to fish the Dee 180ft below the aqueduct there. I have seen some decent barbel and trout come out of there, the pleasure of which was marred by the killer walk back up to the top of the aqueduct to get to the car park!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

No, you can get Blue sharks down on the pembrokeshire coast. I dont think its a patch on Cornwall but you can definately get them.

Blues and Porbeagles!

Welsh record blue 214lb, Porbeagle 296lb.

A skipper regularly organises shark trips for Blues in the summer and frequently catches off Aberdovey!

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!