Setting your fixed spool reel clutch...

Xplorer1

Now it's easy enough when you're fishing straight through. Just grab hold of the line coming off the spool and pull/adjust/pull until you feel it's about right. But if you have 6lb line, say, and a 4lb hooklength, what do you do?

It's not something I've ever given much thought to, to be honest. Experience of fishing with lines down to 1lb has taught me when something is too much.

A 4lb hooklength is quite a lot to be worried about. 3lb is enough to put a considerable bend in a carp rod if you believe the Test Curve rating. I guess you could test a hooklength to destruction by tying one to a fence post or something. See how much OOOMPH it'll take before it breaks and then set the clutch accordingly.

....Andy....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Guest Rabbit
Now it's easy enough when you're fishing straight through. Just grab hold of the line coming off the spool and pull/adjust/pull until you feel it's about right. But if you have 6lb line, say, and a 4lb hooklength, what do you do?

That one of fishing mysteries, try and break the 4lb line with your bare hands and it is very difficult, and yet a barbel or similar can snap it like a piece of cotton. So I would not worry too much about that sort of b/s vs clutch setting, especially when any knots will reduce b/s by at least 25% I only use the clutch on the bait runner when fishing for a 'screamer' for barbel and ignoring the chub knocks, I prefer to play fish by back winding, just feel I have more control but I ought to try the fighting drag to compare.

Thanks guys - I was using the 6lbs/4lbs just as an example really - it was lighter lines I was thinking of, and was wondering f anyone had a specific technique. I've not lost many fish through broken hooklengths (except when a big carp picks up a single maggot on 12oz bottom!). But I tend to fish with the anti-reverse on, then switch it off after the strike, and once or twice when I've hit something big I've felt close to losing the fish in its first immediate dash before I've thrown the switch, and before having the chance to assess how big the beast is - especially when it swims directly away. I guess I just set the clutch a little looser and see how it goes.

I tend to set my clutch on the light side and add extra pressure by putting my finger on the spool. Doing it this way I can let the fish run or stop it in its tracks just with the movement of my finger.

Sort of like using a centerpin really.

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg