Feeder fishing......info ?

craynerd

Hi guys, nooby question again.

First of all is ledger and feeder fishin the same thing ? I understand the principle with feeder fishing, your feeder offers free food with the hope the fish will pick up your hooked bait in the process....correct ? Is ledgering just without the feeder, and you basically present your bait at the bottom alone ? If this is the case how does this differ to float fishing with the line long enough to have your bait sitting on the bottom ?

Would anyone recommend a nice budget feeder rod (this is why i get confused...or is it a ledger rod i want).....basically it needs a quiver tip right ?

Is this method as intense as float fishing.....the reason i ask is i would`nt mind setting up a feeder rig while i float on a different section.

Thanks for the help....i understand it seems obvious to you guys! I will go to the library at the weekend !!!

Chris

(i`m not trying to go too fast, just i have the money at present, leave it any longer and i`ll spend it on useless beer!)

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Why don't you nip back to Trev's Tackle and go through it all with them.

I would imagine some sort of medium weight feeder rod with two or three interchangeable tips will meet your initial requirements.

Whilst you are there you can run through the end tackle wou will require bombs, feeders swivels etc.

You may not need a new reel as the spare spool provided can be fitted with heavier line to suit legering or heavier float fishing.

Legering is an art as much as float fishing and just as intense.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Feeder fishing differs to ledgering only in that with the latter you don't use a swimfeeder. Which method you use depends largely on the amount of feed you want to give the fish - a bit simplistic but to go into the difference in more depth will only be confusing at this stage.

A quivertip is simply a method of bite indication - you can use it for both feeder fishing and ledgering.

If you're float fishing and ledgering/feeder fishing at the same time you'll need an audible bite alarm plus a visible indicator such as a bobbin or Swinger, otherwise you'll both miss bites and deep hook fish. This is because you can't properly watch a float and a quivertip at the same time.

For this reason you'll need a ledger rod without a quivertip. Many such rods though have interchangeable top sections, one with a quivertip and one without. Indeed, the quivertip top may take different quivertips. You use different quivertips for the conditions, rather like different floats, although you don't need so many.

[ 24. February 2005, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net