Info on flies suitable for Scotland needed

Newt

A friend has asked me for suggestions (see the quote below for details) and I am worse than clueless. I have given her a link to this topic. If you need more info, just say what and I'll try to get it.

Anyway, it's his 60th birthday in June this year and I thought I would buy him some special fly fishing lures. I appreciate that what will 'work' in the States might not be the same as what will 'work' in Scotland, but if you have any advice I would love to have it.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

What does she want them for Trout? sea trout? salmon?grayling????

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

There would be loads of further information anyone would need to be able to start an answer to that. Salmon, trout or grayling, for example, river or loch trout, &c.

However for a gift why not try to get a framed fly? Perhaps a classic salmon fly or something like that. A good idea is if you have a picture of a memorable catch get it framed with the fly used. I myself would find that preferable to a gift of fishing flies. My fly selection being very personal as well as rather eclectic, anyone would find it difficult, if not impossible, to find a selection of flies I would use. (Well it would be impossible, as I only fish with my own flies). Something special to hang on the wall though, perhaps in my tying room (if I ever get one again) would be more permanent.

Some years ago I gave a framed Invicta to our own Alan Roe and I know it is still on the wall in his home. That gives me far more satisfaction than any number of my flies in his fly box. Those he fishes with are disposable, he must never feel that he shouldn't cast them into a tight space for fear of loosing one (as if he would). That is a far better gift for a significant occasion than a couple of dozen fishing flies that can be lost in a few trips.

Other good gift ideas would perhaps be a nice fly box, or priest, engraved to personalise them. I've seen a nice brass priest with split cane shaft and cork handle in a presentation box. Alan has one, and, I'm sure, will give details of where it came from. If that is too expensive I saw a nice telescopic priest just today that would look great engraved (that is to anyone but the fish concerned). It was £11 ish so under £20 with engraving.

Cheers,

OT.

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious"

Alan - she has no clue. She just knows from conversations that he is an old fellow who loves fly fishing.

OT - I think your idea of a fly in a presentation box is probably the way to go.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Then I would suggest a traditional Salmon fly in the presentation frame as they really look the business. Dressed properly to pattern they will not come cheap but proper craftsmanship never does

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Thanks gents. She is going to take a look at presentation case/box and engraved priest and go with one or the other.