Milton Keynes ideas for beginner

JasonH

Hi All,

I have been 'volunteered' to take my wife's friends son (10) fishing as he has never been and has no anglers in his family and desparately wants to go.

I have bought a 4m whip for him and a couple of pre-tied rigs, I have all the other good bits he'll need already, mat, forceps, disgorger etc.

I was thinking of taking him down the Grand Union to find some suicidal perch and gudgeon, any suggestions as to which stretches, or alternatively a lake full of 'bits'

Many thanks in advance

Jason

Had a couple of hours one evening last summer on a stretch in Leighton Buzzard by Tescos last year. Not sure if it was day ticket or not, me mate seemed to think it was but Im not from the area so cant be sure. I had some good perch out later on in the evening but before that it was roach and skimmers. Good sport mind.

Good luck either way!

Almost any stretch of the GU is good, most of the Milton Keynes AA records come from it. Peartree Bridge area's fishing well at the moment with plenty of small bream (up to 1lb) about. Another day ticket option is Dimmock's pit (on the newton longville road, ask in local tackle shops). £5 day ticket on the bank, the youngster will be free (MKAA don't charge for under 12s but they must be accompanied by a member or day ticket holder).

Once the season's opened the teardrops would also be an option.

HTH

Will

Thanks for your replies Will and sluk,

I was thinking of going round the back of Woolstones as it's behind my mother-in-laws hence easy parking but may try Peartree Bridge, were you thinking of around the marina area ?

Also as my canal fishing experience is very limited where is the best place near bank, far bank or middle trench ( or the obvious answer, all 3 dependent on where the fish are !! ) ?

Apologies for all the questions but he's been looking forward to this for months and I wouldn't want him disappointed. Although if he's anything like I was as a youngster he'll be happy with a suicidal perchlet.

Thanks again

Anywhere from the bridge over the cut on the estate at Peartree bridge down towards the marina seems quite good at the moment. I tend to park near the bridge on the estate and pick a spot quite near there (doesn't seem to be at all peggy, fish show right along the length). With a 4m whip I'd fish the bottom of the near shelf i.e. the near edge of the middle trench to begin with. Loosefeed regularly with maggot and feed a few small balls of groundbait every half hour or so.

Will

There's a decent lake at Marsh Gibbon, not too far away, where maggots bring a rudd or perch every cast. You can fish for some sizeable carp, bream or tench too. It's totally safe, and you just put your ticket money in a box at the gate.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

• 3 years later...
There's a decent lake at Marsh Gibbon, not too far away, where maggots bring a rudd or perch every cast. You can fish for some sizeable carp, bream or tench too. It's totally safe, and you just put your ticket money in a box at the gate.

Hi, Does this lake have a name or what ticket is it on?! Thanks