Port Logan boat report 22 May 2009

Snatcher

Snatcher,reporting in from Mariners Cafe,Drummore.

I got a bell off Tom (Toonfireman) asking if I fancied a trip out from Logan with him in his boat

the Joshua. Well there is just one answer to that type of question isn't there!! When I arrived at Logan Tom already had Joshua on the beach and said that there was no need for me to don my chesties but to hop straight on board - what a gentleman. Gordon (Tickety Boo) and a pal were about to launch their boat as well,I really did feel optomistic as we headed out past Port Logan pier.

1-110.jpg

Toms plan was simple. His son-in-law was due to arrive at his Sandhead caravan for a short stay and had a days tope fishing planned for the pair of them. Our mission was to bag up with mackerel for that trip. It sounded dead simple so Tom switched on his new fishfinder and we slowly steamed around the bay looking for a mackerel shoal. Not one blip on the screen,things were getting off to a bad start. Gordon was fishing near to us and I did see him bring in a couple of launce on his mackerel flies though. With nothing showing on the fishfinder we just simply jigged away hoping that a shoal would swim our way but we could not even pick up an odd straggler.

Time for a move so off we headed north for a few miles. Again we searched for those mackerel shoals but they simply were not there. .We did pick up a few small pollack on the mackerel flies though and these were carefully returned. "That's it" said Tom "looks like I will have to buy some at Morrisons". Oh well at least we gave it a good go.

Tom then took us close in for a bit pollack fishing. Even that was hard work,Tom managed to eventually bring three or four decent fish to the boat.

2-88.jpg

3-73.jpg

All I could manage was the one fish although I did miss a couple of good takes

4-64.jpg

At this point a Hercules transport plane came thundering overhead,what an awesome sight. It had been buzzing around Luce Bay for about a week on manouvers and Tom had actually seen it being refueled in mid-air and had also seen it land at West Freugh airfield. Here are a couple of shots I had taken of it.

1-111.jpg

2-89.jpg

Sorry wandering off topic here,lets get back to the fishing. After catching a few pollack Tom decided to take us back towards Logan and try for those elusive mackerel again. That is just what they did prove - elusive. I am just praying that the mackerel shoals make an appearance for the WSF boat meet/Sharkatag events which are not far away now. On the way in we passed Gordon who was bait fishing over a wreck. He told us he had picked up a wrasse and a cod,I am sure his report will follow in due course. We heard Matty Burrett on the radio a couple of times and he seemed to be having a better day of it but I am sure he said that he had only managed to pick up two mackerel.

As the fishing went it was very poor but as usual the craic was good so thanks for the trip out Tom. This final picture is of Tom and his boat on Port Logan beach.

5-62.jpg

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy