St Helens Fishing

jakeemery1994

I was just wondering if anyone has ever fished the hotties stretch of the St Helens canal and has any tips on what bait to use when fishing for carp using a ledger/feeder? I have already caught reasonable carp ranging from 4-9lbs on creamy butter boilies but i was wondering if anyone had a better option to catch bigger fish? thanks =D

I was just wondering if anyone has ever fished the hotties stretch of the St Helens canal and has any tips on what bait to use when fishing for carp using a ledger/feeder? I have already caught reasonable carp ranging from 4-9lbs on creamy butter boilies but i was wondering if anyone had a better option to catch bigger fish? thanks =D

The best I've had is a couple of low doubles with cheese paste wrapped around a cork ball on a hair with a litttle betaine added. I did, however, get hammered by skimmers prior to the carp coming along.

I have to say, though, that I didn't enjoy the day as I was even more threatened by members of the St Helens intelligensia.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

The best I've had is a couple of low doubles with cheese paste wrapped around a cork ball on a hair with a litttle betaine added. I did, however, get hammered by skimmers prior to the carp coming along.

I have to say, though, that I didn't enjoy the day as I was even more threatened by members of the St Helens intelligensia.

you have met me then :D

go on what happened to you was it the lager swillling teens the shoplifters or any other degenerate form of society you get on there

as for the carp try going into tesco and buy green lipped mussels use em whole

zig rigs work very well just watch out for the trolleys/bikes/car boot sale stuff that gets dumped

other methods well my biggest carp out of there in recent years came to a 3 inch grub on a gumball jig head when i was chasing perch they have also taken ondex and livebaits again aimed at perch

Edited by noodle996

you have met me then :D

go on what happened to you was it the lager swillling teens the shoplifters or any other degenerate form of society you get on there

as for the carp try going into tesco and buy green lipped mussels use em whole

zig rigs work very well just watch out for the trolleys/bikes/car boot sale stuff that gets dumped

other methods well my biggest carp out of there in recent years came to a 3 inch grub on a gumball jig head when i was chasing perch they have also taken ondex and livebaits again aimed at perch

I don't have a local accent and a few cretins tried to throw their weight around because I "talk like a ponce". Apparently I am a "useless c--- who nicked their favourite swim and I can f--- off out of it 'cos I'm gonna have you in the canal ..." They didn't succeed, but it put me off not only fishing there, but of St Helens in general.

The fact that at the time I'd been there over 3 hours without anyone else there didn't seem to have registered. As ou gathered, the 'intelligensia' was loaded with sarcasm!

It left me with two clear thoughts: 1) It's a truly ugly stretch of water I don't particularly want to fish again and 2) The best thing about St Helens is Knowsley Expressway.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

to be honest its not all that bad but the canal is the worst venue we have, carr mill dam in summer can be a pain too with all the multtides that end up on there.

beleive it or not worse has happened on the canal there are a few serious assault on there every year, last year one non angler was left in the brain hospital (cant think of the name of it its off the lancs just after the pictures on the way into liverpool)

and your wrong the best thing about st helens is the M6 leads to the lakes and the m56 for wales :P

and your wrong the best thing about st helens is the M6 leads to the lakes and the m56 for wales :P

I was being a bit too parochial...taking the bigger picture into account, I totally agree with you!