fishing and canoeing

andy_youngs

Without trying to go off topic..

Most of the stretches of river I fish are in Wales, and so, despite the petitions i have signed, it looks like the 'right to roam' is set to go ahead.

A couple of questions that have crossed my mind have so far gone unanswered though..

Firstly, does the freedom for canoeists to have access to what was previously private land not raise security issues? Im not saying that there are alot of law breaking, theiving canoeists about, but i have seen many grand mansions with 9 foot walls around the front and sides of the house, only to have 150 feet of river frontage open to the river. It only takes one..

Secondly, just as the fishing closed season also applies to some lakes and canals and not others, is it not feasable for canoeists to accept extra access to some deeper and wider stretches of rivers, but not to the 6 inch deep upper chalk streams where damage to the river bed/vegetation in general, and not just spawning grounds is likely? maybe im missing the point on that one, but would a little negotiation not go a long way..?

Lastly, I read somewhere that conoeists are allowed to paddle the river Severn between Welshpool (upper river) and Stourport (lower river) due to some old navigation rights. Can this river not therefore be taken as a good example for how much damage is currently being caused/ how many disputes are occuring between landowner/fisherman/canoiest if it has been open for all to use for many many years? (note that although the river severn is perceived by many as being a deep wide river, there are many shallow gravel beds even as far down as what could be considered the lower river)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canoeists might have to negotiate several agreements with several potential landlords. Hey, that's what they do now!

So why should canoeists have a right to ride roughshod over any objecting landowners, whilst anglers can't? Geese and ganders spring to mind. And will this proposed right of access be limited to running water or will it extend to still waters, like lakes and reservoirs, and syndicated carp puddles in particular?

OK Peter, a brief update for you. I sent my letter to the landowner giving a detailed description of the intimidation that I had been subjected to last weekend, and graciously requested an explanation.

I received a telephone call the next day from a very agitated gentleman to explain that the ugly incedent described in my correspondence did not occur on his land at all, but that of his neighbour.

I was obviously most unhappy to hear this. My complaint had genuinely been sent to the wrong recipient in error.

Never mind. At least I now know precisely which family is behind this enterprise and why they are engaged in such antisocial behaviour.

Apparently, it's all to do with these spawning riffles that were created several years ago at vast public expense. At the time the Environment Agency insisted that a deep channel be incorporated to allow canoes to pass without hindrance as a pre-condition for public funding.

However rumour has it that last year these spawning riffles were extended all the way across the river and a largely indifferent landowner was lobbied by NACA to close the river down to canoeists and insist on 4 km portage between Costessey Mill and Hellesdon Mill.

All of this leaves NACA and the Environment Agency with some rather awkward questions to answer. Yes, this is privately owned land, but once you accept public money to maintain it then you take on certain obligations. I know this for a fact, because I own a piece of land the other side of Norwich which has received SSSI designation by virtue of some rare orchids which thrive there.

I understand that a representative from the BCU is going to see the landowner this weekend to tactfully advise that it's about to start raining.

However when it becomes time to get a proper explanation from the EA and NACA over their involvement in this sorry saga I doubt if we shall be quite so tactful.

After all, I'm the spokesman for 11 enraged citizens in Bungay, some of whom are actively lobbying to trap some of the excessive number of otters on the Waveney and release them on the Wensum. I'm obviously trying to stop them, but I wish I didn't have to. Frankly, I've got more important things to be doing.

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Guest tigger
But justice is a dish best served cold ..

Sounds to me, if you keep on winding those people up that's how your gonna finnish up........cold with a touch of riggo! :o

I reckon all canoes should be banned off rivers so anglers can enjoy their sport without disturbance. :D

Sounds to me, if you keep on winding those people up that's how your gonna finnish up........cold with a touch of riggo! :o

I reckon all canoes should be banned off rivers so anglers can enjoy their sport without disturbance. :D

that is very narrow minded. i pay £25 a year to fish and i also pay £25 a year to canoe on the rivers.

as a angler i have had no problem with people who canoe but as a canoeist i have many problems from anglers who think they own the rivers.

costessey point has had loads of public money spent there and the cause is very good but to try and stop the public from using the river is out of order.

why cant people who enjoy the river just get along together.

we both pay the price to use it. when im canoeing i try and stay away from people fishing and i also retrieve any tackle and line in trees left by anglers that could damage wildlife.

i think andy is in his right to canoe through the naca waters because when they were spending our money to restore the river they put in a deep channel for canoeist to use,

i have been told they filled the channel in so we cant go through if they dont want us there then they should not spend public money.

if you go again andy i would like to join you, the wensum is my local river and i pay to use it as a angler and canoeist so i will carry on doing so.

mike

Guest tigger
Mike, I pays my £25.00 for a canoe, but that doesn't entitle me to go just where I please. Same as a road fund licence which does't entitle me to use bridal ways and footpaths with my car.

Same as a rod licence only covers you to fish where you pay daily or yearly or where it's free.

Mike, I pays my £25.00 for a canoe, but that doesn't entitle me to go just where I please. Same as a road fund licence which does't entitle me to use bridal ways and footpaths with my car.

no but at least you can use the bridal ways and footpaths but public money has been used for naca site and as i cant walk or ride a bike down the river i will use my canoe.

i dont mean to be out of order but i dont think there is any wrong doing as its public money being used.

naca dont want canoeist because the barbel spawning in the shallows, so (if true) why did they fill in the deep channel for canoeist to use. :angry:

mike

They say the mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye ... the more light you shine upon it, the more it will contract.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Guest tigger
They say the mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye ... the more light you shine upon it, the more it will contract.

:lol: you've been watching to many old Kung Foo re runs......you think your Grasshopper :lol:

Have you been walkin on rice paper yet ? You better get practicing your moves for when you meet up with those hillbillies on the river again or there sure to kick your arse and put a hole in your precious canoe :lol:

Have you not seen Deliverance.............you may find yourself squeelin like a pig boy......... :o

Edited by tigger