Spigot joints

GlennB

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Leon Roskilly:

If carbon spigot joints wear, spray them with a Teflon spray (obtainable from good tackle shops)to build the joint up again.

Tight Lines - leon

I use Preston Innovations' Joint Save ... not cheap but it works very well.

A lot of anglers have told me not to put anything on the joints except a tiny bit of lube to stop them wearing-down in the first place.

When adding lube such as candle-wax you have to make-sure that it doesn't make it too easy to push the joint so tight that it's almost impossible to take apart. Moderation in all things.

It's good to have room for some wear though, as shown in the excellent photo, just as long as the initial insert/overlap distance is sufficient and strong enough to do the job.

____________ Posted Image

spigot joints being much the best (strongest) type of joint anyway ... although the down-side of that is that they tend to be stiffer and would probably affect the through-action of a rod where that was required, hence the much more common use of put-over joints, the latter being cheaper to produce too, of course.

DG

[ 13. May 2004, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

I build up the carbon by rubbing the spigot with a softish pencil. A 2B usually does it.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

quote:

Originally posted by Andy Macfarlane:

I build up the carbon by rubbing the spigot with a softish pencil. A 2B usually does it.

Excellent advice! The graphite of pencil "leads" is a superb lubricant. Normal pencils are HB, (H= hard, B= black), so you may have to go to an Art, Pencils & Inks shop to get 2B or 4B pencils.

Graphite conducts electricity and so 2B and 4B pencil leads are also great for lubricating battery contacts on elec appliance and gear like mobile phones, digi-cams where many of the so-called battery probs are merely down to bad contacts

Also great for lubing domestic and car keys

DG

[ 13. May 2004, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

I use the Leeda graphite spray that I also use on me poles.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

The Diamond Geezer:

HB, 2B or 4B :confused: :D

DG

2B or not 2B? Surely that is the question?

Sorry DG but someone has to do the 'get me coat' ones, mate.

Terry :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.