Blocked Gate

Newt

Lucky thing my back patio gate opens inward. Was going into the back yard this morning and saw this fine lady when I opened the gate. It wasn't there two days ago so some nice web work that I didn't have the heart to disturb. She is welcome to that opening for as long as she wants.

newt-an-spider.jpg

[ 19. August 2005, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

No size reference Newt.. How big is she really?

When I was in Mississippi hunting years ago I accidently walked through a web that had one that looked like yours but had red markings. It was rather large

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

awaaar - I hope not but I didn't ask.

I have no clue what particular spider this one is. Big one though. About the size of an old-style silver dollar and those were around 39mm. I really like the reinforcement pieces in the web too. Needed for a heavy body on a light web I suppose.

[ 18. August 2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

Lucky thing my back patio gate opens inward.  Was going into the back yard this morning and saw this fine lady when I opened the gate.  It wasn't there two days ago so some nice web work that I didn't have the heart to disturb.  She is welcome to that opening for as long as she wants.

This is known as the Black and Yellow Garden Spider ( Argiope aurantia ) in the States, slightly different to our Garden spiders I must say!

We have a similar spider over here called Argiope bruenichii, which is sometimes known as the wasp spider. It is primarily a south European species, though it extends northwards to Germany and Holland, and has also recently been appearing here in Southern UK.

Ours are around 15mm (males 4-5mm, male spiders are always smaller than the females :D ).

How big is yours ..... should I re-phrase that?

-Julia

Newt,

Your picture's changed!!!!

Someone's loaded a new picture also named

http://www.go-fishing.org/upload/files/spider.jpg

Overwriting yours (I hate it when that happens!)

TL - leon

[ 18. August 2005, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust