poles, whips and elastication

carpin crazy

I have been looking through pages and pages of poles and whips on internet sites and still have no clue what to buy. Can you please explain to me the difference between a pole and whip and also whether or not you have to elasticate both if they do not come elasticated. If the best option is to buy one and then elasticate either yourself can you please also show me how to elasticate it. I am basically new to poles and whips so any info will be helpful.

Thanks

I have been looking through pages and pages of poles and whips on internet sites and still have no clue what to buy. Can you please explain to me the difference between a pole and whip and also whether or not you have to elasticate both if they do not come elasticated. If the best option is to buy one and then elasticate either yourself can you please also show me how to elasticate it. I am basically new to poles and whips so any info will be helpful.

Thanks

A whip was designed for fishing to hand which was ideal for speed fishing, you can have a whip elasticated which i would have if i was buying a whip. Never elasticated a whip though. A pole is designed to fish further out than a whip. Poles can come in many different lengths such as 11m, 14.5m, 16m. It is ideal to fish far bank or to an island or snag. Poles have to be elasticated. For most of my canal fishing i use a no 2's/3's for my squatt fishing and no 9's for worm or corn. Also you have to remember to balance your tackle line is the main thing. Whips are cheaper than poles usually. It is really what you want it to do which is the main way to make your decision if you want to fish far out the pole is definatley what you want or if you want to fish to hand then a whip is great especially if your starting fishing.

You may find these sites on how to elasticate your pole or whip

how to elasticate a pole

Also here is something i found off Anglers net in a previous forum on how to elasticate a whip:

First buy a bush of a size that your elastic will easily go through; i.e if using a size 6 elastic, then get a bush that will accept a size 10. Very gradually cut the tip back, say 2 inches at a time until the bush will just fit inside the tip. Next, take your whip apart and find a base bung that will fit inside the bottom of the section before the tip, if the sections are short, then try the next section down, ideally you will need to have around six feet of elastic inside the tip. Next, get a diamond eye threader to pull the elastic through the tip and tie with an overhand knot onto the base bung. At the tip end, tie on a stonfo connector with another overhand knot with the elastic under very slight tension. You can now put the tip back through the whip from the base and are ready to fish. It may be that in your first session, you need to trim a little of the elastic to stop the 'droop', just pull out the stonfo and re-tie six inches further back.

Regards James B)