handiracks

mickbe

i bought a handirack last year to transport my yak, its been wellworth the 50 quid i paid.i was gutted last week when one of the tube sprung a leak. i got them from motormania on ebay.i expected to have to send the lot back and wait for a replacement but when i contacted them they dispatched a new tube straight away, quality customer service.i just hope the failed tube was a one off.it is a cracking bit of kit.

Hello mickbe, Iv'e had mine for a couple of years, it's great. One thing I would say, is don't over inflate, just blow up by mouth, rather than by pump. If it's over inflated, standing in the hot sun, on a hot roof, will push up the air pressure too high.

Has anyone else used these inflatable HandiRack roofracks, can they damage your roof, are they secure enough to carry a 28kg Kayak long distances at 50mph ect?

Absolutely, rated to carry 80kg, as long as your roof is clean when you fit it, it's soft, so won't cause any damage.

Very tough material, with securing rings all along the width, comes with nice straps too. It's fitted in about two minutes per rack, removed in seconds.

Iv'e carried my kayak at 60mph over 50 miles, no probem at all. Kind to your kayak too. I just use two straps accross, threading the strap through the deck rings on the kayak, and one rope from the bow to the tow hook on the motor, using an old towel as a buffer where the rope touched the bonnet.

This rack cannot be used on vehicles that have side curtain air bags. Not many have.

Iv'e carried a large sofa bed with all the framework etc too! It can carry anything.

When you park, and remove the kayak, just take it off in seconds to prevent damage from the usual one brain cell idiots that might be around, who fancy sticking a sharp object into it.

Have a look here. http://www.handirackuk.com/whatis.asp

Edited by maidstonemike

Hello mickbe, Iv'e had mine for a couple of years, it's great. One thing I would say, is don't over inflate, just blow up by mouth, rather than by pump. If it's over inflated, standing in the hot sun, on a hot roof, will push up the air pressure too high.

i reckon that was my problem still lesson learned next time its a blow job.

I got one of these years ago but never got round to using it in anger. IIRC it was around £20 so price has gone up since.

When I did use it briefly found it scratched the paint on the roof of thwe car a little bit. Do the new ones still do this?

I got one of these years ago but never got round to using it in anger. IIRC it was around £20 so price has gone up since.

When I did use it briefly found it scratched the paint on the roof of thwe car a little bit. Do the new ones still do this?

Unless the paint is dirty, and the rack slides on the roof when fitting, causing a rubbing effect in the dirt, there's nothing to scratch the paint.

• 4 weeks later...
Unless the paint is dirty, and the rack slides on the roof when fitting, causing a rubbing effect in the dirt, there's nothing to scratch the paint.

My roof is full of scratches because of my handirack. (not so handy!)

This is down to my own fault I confess, by not taking greater care to keep the sand off after use.

Also I had a habit of keeping the rack on for a few days. This resulted in a number of problems.

1) Build up of sand under racks causing scratching

2) Water coming through seal ( Wet seats)

3) Risk of getting the thing nicked!

You learn from your mistakes I suppose. :wallbash:

Chris

My roof is full of scratches because of my handirack. (not so handy!)

This is down to my own fault I confess, by not taking greater care to keep the sand off after use.

Also I had a habit of keeping the rack on for a few days. This resulted in a number of problems.

1) Build up of sand under racks causing scratching

2) Water coming through seal ( Wet seats)

3) Risk of getting the thing nicked!

You learn from your mistakes I suppose. :wallbash:

Chris

that one of the reasons i wont pay out for a decent car .... damn scratches from kayaks all the roof and side .....

that one of the reasons i wont pay out for a decent car .... damn scratches from kayaks all the roof and side .....

Totally agree - Occupational hazard, kayaks = scratches. Then one decent gust of wind at the wrong time and its off with the wing mirror ! ;)

Edited by BristolLes