Help got spyware, lmao

Andy_1984

LOL - love it. What an unholy mess. :D:D

However, that pretty much has to be a montage of screens along with a display of an Ad-aware malware removal screen toward the bottom and Ad-aware is a stand-alone app; not a part of IE at all. They did find some horrible examples to display though which shows how badly a user can screw up his/her browser with BHOs.

The really sad part is that quite a few of the baddies you can spot from the screen shots they show are baddies that people invited to take over parts of their PC.

FWIW, Firefox is a good browser although some limitations I didn't like much and if I were getting away from IE for safety reasons, I'd probably opt to go back to Opera. I do run IE and manage to stay pretty clean even though I spend time hitting some really dodgy sites.

Take a look Here and you can quickly see that any browser running over the Mozilla engine (IE, Netscape, Firefox) has vulnerable spots that can be targeted. IE gets eaten up worse because

1) more folks are trying to mess with it. Lots of spyware is written by coders who are being paid to write their stuff and the sleeze businesses paying them want to go for the biggest target which is IE at this point. Very different situation from the virus coders who do it for fun and the few script kiddies who write malware for the same (fun) reasons.

2) older versions of IE aren't nearly as secure as the latest ones and lots of folks are sticking with 5.x or early 6.x versions. These tend to be the same folks who run without up-to-date protection.

[ 19. August 2005, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President