Les Paul BBC Channel 4 NOW

Colin Brett

My only issue with the Les Paul is that you KNOW it's a Les Paul from the sound alone. Tonally, they're quite inflexible, but a real powerhouse of sound - Leslie West from Mountain was testament to that! I had a Les Paul from the late '60s but sold it in favour of one of the original Hagstroms and a Telecaster (and still had change!), a move I in no way regret - it was more suited to what I was playing at the time - and although I liked the flexibility of the sound of the Stratocaster, at the time their quality was awful.

As for Les Paul, the man, he made popular something that had been in use for quite some time...he simply made it reliable. BTW, he was no mean guitarist either!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Alan watch the program and see what else the man did!! First Multi-track recordings for instance!

I'd have loved to have had a wander through his workshop/store room.

As I don't play any sort of instrument I can only marvel at the way the guitar is played in the hands of real experts such as Les Paul.

My Dad used to play his stuff with Mary Ford when I was just a kid and I've always loved his sound.

All the stuff you mention is over my head!

Edited by Colin Brett

I was simply astounded by the man's technique. I always thought that his fame was mostly due to him being a pioneer and had absolutely no idea that he was such an incredible guitar player. I'm sure my jaw must have dropped as I watched and listened to those old records.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Alan watch the program and see what else the man did!! First Multi-track recordings for instance!

I'd have loved to have had a wander through his workshop/store room.

As I don't play any sort of instrument I can only marvel at the way the guitar is played in the hands of real experts such as Les Paul.

My Dad used to play his stuff with Mary Ford when I was just a kid and I've always loved his sound.

All the stuff you mention is over my head!

That's my friday night sorted, then. :D

I must confess I'd forgotten about his sound engineering skills.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine