Good Fishing Bite Alarms

DavyR

One of my GFX alarms suddenly stopped working when I was fishing in heavy rain yesterday. I've had a close look at it today and nothing looks amiss or adrift inside - no water seems to have got in, no loose wires. It's not the battery, either. Anything I can do, or should I just accept that they're cheap at the price and order a replacement? :D

One of my GFX alarms suddenly stopped working when I was fishing in heavy rain yesterday. I've had a close look at it today and nothing looks amiss or adrift inside - no water seems to have got in, no loose wires. It's not the battery, either. Anything I can do, or should I just accept that they're cheap at the price and order a replacement? :D

Have you made sure it is properly dried out? I made some alarm type boxes and you'd be amazed how littel condensation can stop it working!

Rich

p.s. can you get them anymore?

Have you made sure it is properly dried out? I made some alarm type boxes and you'd be amazed how littel condensation can stop it working!

Rich

p.s. can you get them anymore?

I'll try blasting it with a hairdryer and/or leaving it in the airing cupboard overnight!

Apparently, one Philip Pepper has taken over the manufacture of the GF alarms:

http://www.goodfishing.i12.com/

One of mine stopped working briefly last season for no apparent reason (it chose the session when I caught my PB bream, clever thing :rolleyes: ). I still don't know why, although it was an extremely damp and dewy night/morning. No problems since...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

One of mine stopped working briefly last season for no apparent reason (it chose the session when I caught my PB bream, clever thing :rolleyes: ). I still don't know why, although it was an extremely damp and dewy night/morning. No problems since...

As I mentioned, it is amazing where the condensation can get, you might have some right inside one of the chips etc etc ! After similar problems with my orginal boxes I sealed the circuit boards with this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=25345

Since then I've had no problems!

Rich

To suddenly stop working like that id bet money on either a component has blew or a dry solder joint.

Try giving all the components on the PCB a small wiggle see if anything moves more than it should , and like somebody else said above a very good drying out.

If you know anyone who is handy with a soldering iron have them resolder all the joints on he PCB its worth a try anyway.

My 3 GFM's are still going strong allbeit one has a cracked back cover where i screwed onto a bankstick too much doh! still works fine thou :) love em to bits tbh from piking to long range roaching they are the dogz dooodlies ;)

Ohh most common thing to go naff btw is the 9v bat connector make sure power is getting to the actual board from the battery.(a cheap multimeter will do the job)

I araldited the pcbs and components on mine , just hope i dont ever need to replace anything on it :D

wibble?

I've had the occasional bleep out of it since giving it a thorough drying, but no more than that - which does, I suppose, point to a loose connection somewhere...

seriously, i hate to be a 'tackle tart' and buy expensive things when there are cheaper, just as effective, less fashionable alternatives.

but i bought my fox alarms 9 years ago and they've been soaked, submerged, stood on , tripped over,bashed, beaten and otherwise ill treated over the years, and they've never even flinched. sometimes it is worth spending a few quid to get the real deal. i hate to admit it.

just thought i'd mention it.

Gav

King Piker