New to float fishing for carp, advice please!

chunk of funk

Hi all,

My name is mark and i am new both to this forum and fishing in general. I'm hoping you will be able to offer me some advice on starting out in fishing. I am looking to start with float fishing and have a question regarding which type of rod to purchase as this appears to be a minefield! Will pellet waggler rods handle the sort of size fish i want to catch? should i get a pellet waggler, a match rod etc etc.

So heres the scenario, and your advice is most welcome and appreciated:

So here's what i want to do:

I want to float fish for carp upto around the 15 pounds area.

Heres the question:

Should i buy a through action rod or a top action in order to float fish for these? What sort of test curve? Pellet waggler/qivertip/match rod? etc etc. Basically i'm really very new to this and i apologise if im being thich but having looked on the forums i see your a friendly bunch and would really appreciate some advice on choosing a rod for the above type of fishing

I have tried to find advice about this online and frankly its made my head hurt! Please help :clap2:

Thanks in advance guys

Mark "chunk of funk"

For Carp up to mid doubles on the float, you would not go far wrong with a through action Avon type rod of between 11 to 12 feet in length with a test curve of between 11/4 and 11/2lb. It would also be suitable for ledgering with a bobbin as a bite indicator. There are many such rods available which vary considerably in price with many people having their own personal favourites but I am sure that other members of the forum will offer advice in this area. It is always advisable to try them out with a reel fitted first as although you may be new to this you will certainly get a good idea of what feels right and comfortable to hold.

Yes, I would agree with Tinca. A 12ft 1.25 or 1.5lb tc rod is the most versatile rod you'll ever own, it can be used for so many things, and will handle carp of that size easily. Many of them also come with a separate quivertip top section, which is even better.

I don't know how much you want to spend, but I can recommend the Drennan Series 7 Avon/Quiver - 4th rod down on this page: http://www.jktackle.co.uk/acatalog/Drennan...alist_Rods.html

Although many others are available for less money.

Welcome to the forum btw :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes, I would agree with Tinca. A 12ft 1.25 or 1.5lb tc rod is the most versatile rod you'll ever own, it can be used for so many things, and will handle carp of that size easily. Many of them also come with a separate quivertip top section, which is even better.

I don't know how much you want to spend, but I can recommend the Drennan Series 7 Avon/Quiver - 4th rod down on this page: http://www.jktackle.co.uk/acatalog/Drennan...alist_Rods.html

Although many others are available for less money.

Welcome to the forum btw :)

Thanks guys, I think i have bought what you have described! Here is what i have bought:

http://www.garbolinouk.co.uk/rods/float-ro...d-pellet-combo/

Let me know what you think :)

Thanks for the advice!

Mark

Thanks guys, I think i have bought what you have described! Here is what i have bought:

http://www.garbolinouk.co.uk/rods/float-ro...d-pellet-combo/

Let me know what you think :)

Thanks for the advice!

Mark

Hi Mark, I am not familiar with that particular rod but it certainly look as if you are on the right lines. As Anderoo said earlier, this type of rod is very versatile and as well as what you are looking to do, can be used for a wide range of methods and other species both in still and running water. If you have questions on anything just ask as there are many people on the forum who are more than willing to help

Cheers for the advice it's reasuring to know when starting off in something as involved and diverse as fishing that there's people out there happy to offer advice to newbies! I'm looking forward to testing it out! Am I right in thinking that you use the quivertip with a feeder and the normal tip for float or small ledger on these style of rods?