Stret Pegging - Suitable Floats

Paul_D

quote:

Isn't it mainly used in fairly fast-flowing water?
It is yes. Why, what are you saying?

Rod is held high to keep the float cocked on a tight line. Distance between float and hook at least twice the depth of water, this causes a large bow downstream which would result in the float behaving in the outlined manners. The rod is raised periodically to straighten out the line between float and hook and some more line is paid off the reel, then the shot is allowed to rest on the bottom again and the rod lowered slightly, net result, tackle is a little further downstream and the bow is re-established. Or am I way off the mark?

Paul

Usually used to slowly search out a swim especially in fast water/flood conditions.Very sensitive.What you describe with the cocked float I have always known as laying on or float ledgering.I have however (to add even more confusion) seen special floats for "Stret pegging" which are used cocked.These have a streamlined "tear" shaped cross section.

The basic set up as I have always understood it is a running ledger (normally a bullet) with a float fixed top and bottom and set several feet over depth.Once cast out the ledger is manouvered into the required position (normally a few yards directly down from the rod tip)This is done on a tight line.A bow in the line from ledger to float is allowed to form placing the flat float more or less directly over the ledger.The line from rod tip to float is obviously tight due to the current.As you wish to explore the swim you tihten up to the leger,lift the rod tip and allow the ledger to "bounce" a short way down stream.The bow is the allowed to form again.This can be repeated to cover the swim.Obviously correct balancing of the tackle to the depth/strength of flow is important.

The reason for the flat float and bow is to improve bite detection.On a tight line (all the way from hook to float tip) a biting fish would imediately feel the resistance of the rod tip.

Well thats the way I have always understood it and used it. :confused:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Paul just read your last post.If you fish the float top and bottom with the down stream bow it cant cock thertefore the flat float.For it to cock you would have to remove the bow by tightening all the way up to the float,therefore "float ledgering/laying on"? Does that make sense to you?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I know what you're saying Budgie, what I'm getting at though is by holding the rod high and because the float is substantially over shotted with all the shot on the river bed, the float will be cocked on a tight line albeit it's not vertical in the water. Obviously, the further you work the float down stream the more acute the angle between float and rod tip and, hence, the flatter the float will be.

Paul