Hi guys new to carping couple of questions please!

chunk of funk

Hi guys,

having started with float fishing a couple of months ago I have now progressed onto carp fishing and I love it! I caught my first double on my second leggering session (10'5 common) and I absolutly love it.

Your advice would be really appreciated on the following. What is the best rig out of a bolt rig and a free running rig? Or advantages disadvantages of each?

Secondly, if I'm only casting out 30 to 40 feet with an underhand cast on my local fishery (not that big) what size lead would you guys suggest using?

My apologies if these questions scream novice but there is so much to learn it seems and your advice would really help me out. Any other general advice about baiting up, or any other carping advice welcome! Have already learnt a fair deal just Reading old posts.

I'm off fishing tomorrow so thanks!!

Mark "chunk of funk"

If you haven't done so yet, check out the carp fishing articles as all of this will have been covered. Also try searching the forum. However in brief, both bolt rigs and free rigs will work, but one may work better than the other - but only you can decide / find that out by fishing the 2 side by side. For bolt rigs you really need heavy leads for it to work as semi self hooking rig - at least 2oz. I'd probably opt for the running lead at closer ranges as you can fish it with slack(er) lines and thus keep the line out of the fishes view more of the time. For running leads, I would be inclined to go for 1 - 1 1/2 oz.

Rob.

If you haven't done so yet, check out the carp fishing articles as all of this will have been covered. Also try searching the forum. However in brief, both bolt rigs and free rigs will work, but one may work better than the other - but only you can decide / find that out by fishing the 2 side by side. For bolt rigs you really need heavy leads for it to work as semi self hooking rig - at least 2oz. I'd probably opt for the running lead at closer ranges as you can fish it with slack(er) lines and thus keep the line out of the fishes view more of the time. For running leads, I would be inclined to go for 1 - 1 1/2 oz.

Rob.

Thanks Rob your advice is much appreciated, had searched the forums but just got confused! will check out the articles now though. thanks bud

Hi guys,

having started with float fishing a couple of months ago I have now progressed onto carp fishing and I love it! I caught my first double on my second leggering session (10'5 common) and I absolutly love it.

Your advice would be really appreciated on the following. What is the best rig out of a bolt rig and a free running rig? Or advantages disadvantages of each?

Secondly, if I'm only casting out 30 to 40 feet with an underhand cast on my local fishery (not that big) what size lead would you guys suggest using?

My apologies if these questions scream novice but there is so much to learn it seems and your advice would really help me out. Any other general advice about baiting up, or any other carping advice welcome! Have already learnt a fair deal just Reading old posts.

I'm off fishing tomorrow so thanks!!

Mark "chunk of funk"

As rob said, both running leads and bolt rigs work well, however if using a bolt rig I would have a look at safety clips that allow the lead to be ejected if your line is snapped.