Back to Fishing

Builderfill

Hi Guys

I'm just getting back into fishing after 20 years away playing Rugby and Golf, still got all of my old tackle but i need some advice on upgrading rods, reels ect, i am looking for good quality tackle but not costng the earth. I have read a lot of the articals already and picked up some good tips already, this is the best place for information ive found so far, keep up the good work. I will be fishing the Avon at Bristol mostly, so any tips on this strech would be great.

Thanks

Builderfill

Hi Guys

I'm just getting back into fishing after 20 years away playing Rugby and Golf, still got all of my old tackle but i need some advice on upgrading rods, reels ect, i am looking for good quality tackle but not costng the earth. I have read a lot of the articals already and picked up some good tips already, this is the best place for information ive found so far, keep up the good work. I will be fishing the Avon at Bristol mostly, so any tips on this strech would be great.

Thanks

Builderfill

Whats wrong with your old stuff?I still use a float rod I bought second hand 25 years ago,to some it may look like old tat but I have had some nice fish using it.

Whats wrong with your old stuff?I still use a float rod I bought second hand 25 years ago,to some it may look like old tat but I have had some nice fish using it.

Good point Dapper, but my gear was crap years ago as i was always skint, now i'm still skint but its the wife and not the local pub that takes all my money.

still got all of my old tackle but i need some advice on upgrading rods, reels ect,

Hello Builderfill and welcome.

My advice would be to change the line on your old gear (maybe a few new hooks and replacement shot), use it and make sure you still enjoy fishing before you fork out on new tackle. Good stuff can be had relatively cheaply these days but it won't make the difference between you taking it up again or not.

Can't help with the Avon but somebody who can will be along I'm sure.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

It can't have been that bad can it?you must have caught fish with it to want to take up fishing again.There is a lot of tackle in the shops that is designed to catch anglers rather than fish(especially for carp fishing.like rusty says you could just use your old tackle with new line and hooks,then build your new tackle up a bit at a time.

It can't have been that bad can it?you must have caught fish with it to want to take up fishing again.There is a lot of tackle in the shops that is designed to catch anglers rather than fish(especially for carp fishing.like rusty says you could just use your old tackle with new line and hooks,then build your new tackle up a bit at a time.

I'd agree with giving your old tackle a go, it's probably at least up to the job that modern gear is. I'm still using Mitchell/ABU reels, fibreglass rods (an old Shakey Alpha match is my current go to rod) and an old wicker basket.

PS Hello all, first post for me on this forum. :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Dave.