A good book - Wreckers

david t

Hello,

If anyone is thinking of an interesting, slightly different book to read, with christmas and all that, I would recommend a book titled 'Wreckers' by Bella Bathurst.

Its a book which chronicles the history of wrecking (the deliberate or accidental occurence of shipwrecks and the people who would plunder them) around the UK. The books chapters go from region to region, with sections on the history of wrecking in the scottish isles, cornwall, kent etc.

Its not a book full of dark tales of people luring ships onto rocks and basically acting as seashore pirates, instead, its more varied than that. It gives accounts of how a shipwreck landing on a remote scottish island could save the islanders from famine, of how quick and skillfully people used to be at getting to a wrecked ship, taking it apart while it was sinking and hiding the evidence from the authorities using rather clever means.

Worth looking into, especially if your interested in the sea.

http://www.bellabathurst.com/writing03.php

Dave

Hello,

If anyone is thinking of an interesting, slightly different book to read, with christmas and all that, I would recommend a book titled 'Wreckers' by Bella Bathurst.

<snip>

Dave

It gets a mixed set of reviews on Amazon, most seem to rate it fair to middling, with comments about it not being overly detailed factually and a bit repetitive. Now if you want a good read, try 'Winston Churchills toy shop'. Shame it's out of print and going for £50+ on Amazon.

Rob.

Reviewers are reliable if you are familiar with them and their tastes.

At one time there were several well known movie critics I could always rely on since if they loved it, I would hate it but a movie they bashed was almost certainly going to be one I'd enjoy.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Reviewers are reliable if you are familiar with them and their tastes.

At one time there were several well known movie critics I could always rely on since if they loved it, I would hate it but a movie they bashed was almost certainly going to be one I'd enjoy.

Whilst that's true, most have critic'd what they do and don't like about the book. You can therefore read their comments and make your own mind up, without having to buy the book first.

I'm with you on the movie critics though. I've lost count of the number of 'the years best movie' that I wouldn't lend to my worst enemies.

Rob.