Baitdigger Finds Rare Seahorse

Elton

I can see why the guy in this article did what he did, but I can see the potential for good deeds by anglers backfiring on us with all this talk of MCZ's and the like right now.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I can see why the guy in this article did what he did, but I can see the potential for good deeds by anglers backfiring on us with all this talk of MCZ's and the like right now.

Maybe we need to grow a spine and concentrate on whats true rather than whats popular atm ?

The guy found a seahorse (which in current media numbness is like finding the magic bean), which he found curious and did what any interested person might do - took it along to someone he thought might be able to tell him about it.

Trouble is that " happy to help" org has an agenda, the media love stories about cute seahorses so will spin it a bit more, Anglers.net joins in and suddenly we are connecting a guy that found something interesting on a beach and wanted to know more, with something bad?

Sod the talk of MCZ's and all the rest, the guy did good as far as im concerned.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Maybe we need to grow a spine and concentrate on whats true rather than whats popular atm ?

The guy found a seahorse (which in current media numbness is like finding the magic bean), which he found curious and did what any interested person might do - took it along to someone he thought might be able to tell him about it.

Trouble is that " happy to help" org has an agenda, the media love stories about cute seahorses so will spin it a bit more, Anglers.net joins in and suddenly we are connecting a guy that found something interesting on a beach and wanted to know more, with something bad?

Sod the talk of MCZ's and all the rest, the guy did good as far as im concerned.

As I said, I can understand why he did that. Many of us probably would have.

My only concern is that our good deeds are being used against us. I've been at meeting laid on by government people who want to control us where not only has one person been told that a hermit crab is more important than his livelihood, but also another angling 'rep' has suggested that we might want to put restrictions on bait digging areas because, well, they contain worms!

From conversations I've had, it appears that commercial fishermen see a lot at sea, but don't tell anyone who has the word 'government' or 'conservationist' attached to them. Most of these species that they aim to protect have lived alongside us for decades. As soon as these people whose sole interest in the sea revolves around their salary and pension find out, big rings are drawn around the area and it's highlighted for protection.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

In the wild virtually all of the approximate 34 species of seahorse are now under threat from a variety of sources."

I should imagine they are under threat from every thing bigger than them which is just about every thing.

I fish to live and live to fish.

As I said, I can understand why he did that. Many of us probably would have.

My only concern is that our good deeds are being used against us. I've been at meeting laid on by government people who want to control us where not only has one person been told that a hermit crab is more important than his livelihood, but also another angling 'rep' has suggested that we might want to put restrictions on bait digging areas because, well, they contain worms!

From conversations I've had, it appears that commercial fishermen see a lot at sea, but don't tell anyone who has the word 'government' or 'conservationist' attached to them. Most of these species that they aim to protect have lived alongside us for decades. As soon as these people whose sole interest in the sea revolves around their salary and pension find out, big rings are drawn around the area and it's highlighted for protection.

Hi Elton,

Do you not think things might be changing though? I don't mean the big forth-coming election, because i find it hard to sort out one from the other, but in day to day life I find a lot of people getting angry - its not just fisheries after all; its green (in all senses of the word) bureaucrats introducing well intentioned, but not thought out, rules on everything; fisheries are just one tiny fragment of the laws falling on us day in day out.

Don't know if you heard down south, but in Scotland, a woman was left to die in a shaft because firefighters were not allowed to try and save her?! It shocked me deeply and i don't imagine im the only one.

Tides got to turn, and the non representative "reps", the well financed green groups, and the on the cheap media, who have enjoyed such an easy, lazy ride for most of my life are suddenly going to face questions.

Rant over :D

Whats the actual situation with the seahorse this guy found then? Someone on this site is likely to know i guess..

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net