Winter baits. What do you change?

Guest Alan Taylor

Guest Alan Taylor

Hi all fellow anglers,

As winter is just around the corner I was wondering what changes you make with regards to the baits you use, for example for Bream, Pike, etc or do you use the same type of bait all year?

Tight lines

Alan(nl)

------------------

ANMC Founder Member. Support Anglers Net & reap the benefits, join ANMC today.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest scoobs11

hi alan.

i would have to say the main difference between my summer and winter baits are size and amounts.

i use smaller baits and feed less of them.

not really scientific but there you go thats me all over tongue.gif

------------------

if you can't be good

be careful

anmc founder member

The weather seems quite mild at the moment, so I think timing is also a factor here. If Alan doesn't mind, I'd like to add the question "When do you change your baits (assuming that you do)".

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest Alan Taylor
Originally posted by Elton:

"When do you change your baits (assuming that you do)".

Tight lines,

Elton

Good point Elton, should have thought of it myself but thats why you'r the boss wink.gif

Alan(nl)

------------------

ANMC Founder Member. Support Anglers Net & reap the benefits, join ANMC today.

Guest big pole

When fishing the local canals I usually start to cut down on the amount of feed and start using more squats when the colder weather starts. The timing of this depends on a number of indications that I have noticed during my time fishing. These include the water becoming clearer and colder, reduced boat traffic. There are other if you look.

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by scoobs11:

hi alan.

i would have to say the main difference between my summer and winter baits are size and amounts.

i use smaller baits and feed less of them.

not really scientific but there you go thats me all over tongue.gif

I do the opposite! The colder the weather, the bigger the bait I use.

However, like you I cut right back on the feed when it's cold.

I've written about this many times in the past. For instance, this is the first of several paragraphs from an article on this subject:

"Nearly every book or article I've ever read states that you should use very small baits in cold weather. Naturally, many readers follow this advice and the odd fish is caught. Eventually just about everyone is fishing identically, which means of course that nearly all the fish reported are caught on small baits, and so the myth is perpetuated! Let me assure you that, on most cold days, you'll definitely catch a whole lot more with bigger baits!"

For the reasoning behind this see my piece "Fishing Frozen Rivers" in the articles section of Angler's Net, which goes into the subject in detail.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest phil dean

Sunday morning, with no one else catching much, i gave bread punch a try (haven't used it since may)

4 roach to 0.5lb. Result biggrin.gif

Guest fisherking

As soon as the wind is biting and there is a crispness in the air then the wasp grub comes out of the freezer and the maggots are substituted for caster and hemp.

John.

Hi Alan

like many people on here i tend to cut back on the feed when fishing in the cold spells.

Must admit i tend to use more worms and bread for specemin targets on the river as well in the winter.

------------------

dave kennedy USSC Angling