Winter baits. What do you change?

Guest Alan Taylor

Guest mike the pike

Have to agree with steve on this one, cold weather bigger baits.

The way I look at it, if you are mr fish in the river/lake, and a single maggot comes rolling past, you think, well it's bloody cold, is it worth me getting up and swimming all the way over to that maggot, for the energy I'm gonna get eating it??.

Now if a bloody great lobworm comes past, your'e thinking, ey up lunchtime, that fill me up for the day, definately worth the swim??.

Make sense??, oor am I just talking rubbish again smile.gif.

I also flavour the bait more in the winter, seems to work for me.

Mike.

------------------

Anmc member

pay the fee, and join up like me :0)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest peter morton

Yes,same here,cut down on the feed but fish bigger baits,why charge about for little morsels when you can fill your face in one hit?

I find that this approach pays of after the first frosts arrive

Peter

------------------

HAPPINESS IS A ROD IN YOUR HAND

[This message has been edited by peter morton (edited 17 October 2001).]

Guest Steve Burke

Sounds as though Mike and Peter have either been reading my articles, or it's a question of great minds thinking alike! These are the very reasons I gave.

In fact, the very first article I ever wrote was in 1980 and entitled "Big Baits in Very Cold Conditions". It was published in Chevin, the Chub Study Group's magazine, and I remember at the next get-together that not all the members agreed with me. I wonder if they would now, over 20 years later?

BTW, before anyone takes me to task about the first picture in the Angler's Net article I referred to, this was taken before unhooking mats had been invented. In the text of the article I recommended that an unhooking mat always be used, and it was especially important on frozen banks.

Elton, I touched on this in another thread recently. In the circumstances perhaps you'd kindly remove this pic from the article. Thanks.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest euan pink

i have always been a fair weather angler! so i don`t have any input on this but as i intend to change that this year i will take notice of all the other posts thanks smile.gif

------------------

ANMC FOUNDER MEMBER

SAVE MONEY ON YA FISHIN JOIN TODAY

I agree with steve on this one,bigger baits hopefully make it worthwhile for the fish to use it's hard earned resources. I also tend to use additives in winter, and if I use worms I nip the end off to create a smelly scent ( remember the Bisto adds )!!! well it works for me, the Bisto that is!!!

Guest Alan Taylor
Originally posted by euan pink:

Euan, your comments were like a breath of fresh air, this is exactly what Anglers Net is all about.

Stay warm

Alan(nl)

------------------

ANMC Founder Member. Support Anglers Net & reap the benefits, join ANMC today.

Guest Alan Taylor
Originally posted by euan pink:

Euan, your comments were like a breath of fresh air, this is exactly what Anglers Net is all about.

Stay warm

Alan(nl)

------------------

Guest Alan Taylor
Originally posted by fisherking:

Hi all,

Thanks for the response, a lot of good comments there.

John, these wasp grubs, how do you get them?

Sorry to be thick but I have not seen them or know anything about them.

Would you post a new topic "wasp grubs" and share this info please? or am I the only one that has not used wasp grubs.

I for one would like to more if you have the time.

Ignorant

Alan(nl)

------------------

Guest phil dean

the main problem with wasp grup is getting it.

As it comes from...wait for it....wasps nests...the adults aren't too happy when you poke around.

I used to get my wasp grub "cake" (a chunk of the hive) from the council exterminator, but they've changed the method for killing the wasps, or i've woken up a bit, and the chemicals are lethal not only to you but potentially to the fish. Thankfully my mate at the council will, where possible, drown the nest in a bucket if it's small, giving me a small but very valuable supply.

Fished on the c=hook with mashed up cake as feed they are fantastic chub baits accounting for my only 50lb plus net from the river near my old house.

Hope that helps alan, as usual, the others will be able to help more

------------------

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Guest Alan Taylor
Originally posted by phil dean:

, the others will be able to help more

Thanks Phil, it seems that others are in the dark as I am or they just don't want to share there knowledge. Shame really.

Is it that people are peeeeeeed off with me or just want to keep the info private?

Tempting bait though

Alan(nl)

------------------