Braid advice?

GlennB

I impulse bought 250m of Ockert Climax braid, aiming to use it for lure fishing. It's 0.2mm, 9.5k.

If I also used this for barbel,chub and carp, would it need a mono leader? I ask because of comments in another thread where a poster mentioned a pike getting 'lacerated' by braid when it got wrapped up in the line. If braid is so abrasive, does it pose a danger to the mouths of other fish?

And if a mono leader is a good idea, what length/strength? Seems to me that a metre or two of mono will come in for a lot of stretching on the end of a non-stretch braid mainline.

Any advice appreciated.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

braid isnt abrasive, its just very 'sharp'when it wraps round something, as it has no stretch.

a shock leader for barbel etc fishing would be a good idea, but 9.5k line is a bit heavy!

I know that in theory a fish could take damage from a braid line and probably some do.

However, I've been fishing regularly with nothing else for a few years now - both lure and still fishing - and have not seen any fish harmed by the line.

jeepster - since he has a fairly small diameter line, I don't think the b/s is a problem. That line is a little larger for a given b/s than the PowerPro I usually use but isn't 0.2mm about what you'd expect from 8-10lb mono?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

i use braid for my pike fishing lure or dead/livebaiting,helps get them hooks home,plus i love it for drifter fishing,no s-t-r-e-t-c-h!

i also know some one who owns a carp lake, he bans braid hooklinks becuase they can cut the carps mout during th efight,the problems stem from people using briaded reel line at low wieghts ie 7-8lb b.s,wich is incredibly thin and very abrasive unlike say silkworm a braided hooklengh for carp,i dont use braid for anything other than pike i may consider using it for cats or in certain situations surface fishing for carp(always using a mono hook lenght).IMO stick to mono for carp n chub n barbel if anything it may cost you fish,as they are not hard mouthed like pike,you might get a few hook pulls(no stretch!even with a shockleader-more knots to worry about).i think any line wrappiing round a fish is not going to help it,ive had pike roll over braid when playing them to the net never cut one once...i use 38lb dyneema antres its as thick as say 12lb mono.not abrasive either very soft infact.

[ 19. June 2004, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Rattus Norvegicus46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!