Edgar Sealey "float caster"

bromley

I've been offered an Edgar sealey "float caster" by a colleague for £60. Whole cane butt and split cane middle and top, It looks to be in good condition.

Any vintage tackle buffs out there know anything about these rods? I want to use it rather than put it on the wall and look at it.

I've been offered an Edgar sealey "float caster" by a colleague for £60. Whole cane butt and split cane middle and top, It looks to be in good condition.

Any vintage tackle buffs out there know anything about these rods? I want to use it rather than put it on the wall and look at it.

Absolute rubbish mate, offer him a tenner and I'll give you that and the postage back and I'll put it in my "rods not to own" museum.

:sun: Only kidding!....never owned or used one myself but, they have a following and a good reputation. £60 sounds quite a good price. I'd go for it (at least offer him £50) and if you don't like it you can always flog it on! Check that the cane is free from splits, especially the butt section. The whole cane butts are getting harder to find and they can split.

Tightlines.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

You would not find me paying more than £25.00 for one in really good condition.

Bonhams sold one not too long ago in as new and it only fetched £30.00 with the bungs still in, original bag and as near perfect condition as it came out of the shop.

Very tricky giving advice on an old cane rod without seeing it, whole cane and built cane are subject to lots of problems, what are the ferrals like?, how is the whipping? what is the handle made of, are the joints solid, is the varnish in good condition, what are the rings like, how worn is the reel seating, how worn is the reel fixing, is it in an original bag, has it been renovated, is it bent, has it been re-whipped, any signs of insect or vermin damage?

I could go on but without experience it will mean nothing to you, e.g. how does the light reflect on the varnish and milky signs, what does it smell like?

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God