MPs and experts in talks to stop fish stocks' collapse

Elton

I think it says a lot about commercial fishermen that they can't even begin to comprehend the idea that anyone would be motivated by anything other than "making money".

These "commercial fishermen" some kind of different species from the rest of humanity then? BTW i missed whatever posting or news report induced your response - did it include a list of the "fisheries experts" that are going to be speaking to the "government experts" ?

Marine reserves are being funded by mega dollars. They may well be a good idea but they seem to be being danced through to some predetermined tune.

What did that Beeb piece actually tell you about whats going on?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

I also work on policy related to the conservation of marine ecosystems. I am interested in ocean governance and the regulation of fisheries, especially on the high seas. I am currently working with the Global Legislators Organisation for a Better Environment (Globe International) reviewing and formulating policy related to marine fisheries and to the management of coral reef and other coastal ecosystems. I have also worked for the UK Government, IUCN, UN Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO), UN Division of Oceans and Law of the Sea (UN-DOALOS), UN International Seabed Authority (ISA), and NGOs including WWF and Greenpeace. Most of this work has involved research and synthesis relating to vulnerable marine ecosystems, particularly deep-sea coral reefs. I have participated in both workshops and international negotiations related to the regulation of fisheries. As a part of this work I have also established a new NGO, the International Programme on the State of the Ocean (IPSO).

Just looking at this experts c v, i can see he has a totally un-biased opinion especially working for ngo's such as i have underlined. No wonder the uk and the eu are short of money employing countless number of these one sided marters. He has even commenced with yet another ngo, still if he sticks his head up over the parapet, our nice new government might just decide if his nice new ngo is sustainable, value for taxpayers money etc. Hope our new government delve deeply into what defra have acheived in the last few years. :rolleyes:

I doubt any of the government departments will change one bit; they will fight on other peoples beaches to the bitter end,until they catch up with the fact the Empire has gone which looks a long way off atm. Don't see much evidence that either the Labour or Tories are willing to grab THAT bull by the horns.

No idea about the history of DEFRA but as a young Assistant Fishery Officer with DAFS (Seerad/seefad/SeeRAD,SeeYou now? :D) and having completed, as usual, my days paperwork in an hour , I went exploring the attic and found a load of irons to brand Herring casks with. These were passed on to the local museum but the idea that that the original purpose of "my" "job" was actually to verify the ownership and quality of Herring was a wee bit of an eye opener, given i was was currently being tasked to enforce quotas on Haddock with no tools whatsoever.

Watched the breakdown in communication between the fishers and the scientists that used to be taken for granted, saw the Monty Python response of DAFS to their new task; we got issued with scanners to roam the VHF channels,with the slight hitch that we could not act upon anything we heard :D

Got to spend a week fishing for trouts in the flow country when posted to Thurso to "enforce" the differences in east/west Haddock quota. This cunning operation consisted of me, a VHF radio, a pair of binos and a campbed in the Thurso DAFS office. Trout fishing was so so but what a beautiful place. Enforcement activity for the week consisted of one boat reporting in by VHF (think it was the Aberdeen "Bickleigh", me gazing at fog so thick i could not see the lamp-post on the other side of the street and saying on you go then..

Mmm, should have stuck with it and developed me angling :(:)

Edited by Jaffa

Apparently 245 "Fisheries experts" are to contribute to this "event" (who pays btw?)

First one I found with Google is Dr Alex Rodgers of the Institute of Zoology in London.;

Clearly no vested interest there. Anyone have any way of finding out how many actual FISHERIES Scientists with a CV that includes papers on managing FISHERIES are going to be at this event?

Climate change may grab the headlines, but it is a collapse in fisheries that some scientists consider the most imminent global environmental threat.

Hello Chris

I think that because they sense the Global Warming circus is starting to fall a part, looking at the shambles of the Copenhagen summit they realise the need for another environmental threat.

I suspect this will become an annual gathering of mostly the same people.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Climate change may grab the headlines, but it is a collapse in fisheries that some scientists consider the most imminent global environmental threat.

Hello Chris

I think that because they sense the Global Warming circus is starting to fall a part, looking at the shambles of the Copenhagen summit they realise the need for another environmental threat.

I suspect this will become an annual gathering of mostly the same people.

Hi Peter,

"They" being certain NGO's? If so then they were banging on about reserves many years before the Copenhagen summit, and i'd guess; though have no way of knowing, that planning for this meeting may have predated that anyway. Either way what you are saying does not add up for me..

I'd love to see a list of who is speaking about what though. You seen or heard anything?

By this time next week I will no doubt be fully informed, on every detail of every detail of the football squad, but still may not have a clue who or what is said at this meeting. Is it a genuine bringing in of the top brains on fisheries, or a marine reserve supporters love-in with like minded politicians..

Chris