cheeky 20 off the top

RUDD

On Tuesday I managed a quick cheeky hour and a bit session, finished work at 12:45, drove home, had a cuppa, grabbed some kit and popped down to a local pool.

Kids needed picking up from school at 15:00

A windy Northerly had me looking for a sheltered spot from which I drifted some floaters and crust across a bay to some overhanging bushes.

A few carp started taking an interest along with a zillion rudd/roach which attaked the baits like a hoard of piranahs.

From what I observed the carp had a preferance for the crust sucking in bits the silvers missed.

After several attempts at getting a bait to the hot spot - freelined crust, wind, bushes and hoards of silvers started to test my nerve and time started to run out.

On went the thinking cap - on went a very small piece of crust, out came a whole slice of bread onto which was placed the small piece of crust.

Into the water the slice was placed and pushed out into the ripple with the net handle as far as I could reach.

The slice drifted across the bay at a good pace and soon found its way under the bushes.

For a reason I will never know the silvers ignored the slice?

Two decent mirrors did take an interest and the smaller tried in vain to suck pieces off the slice.

When the bigger of the two moved under the slice to have a go I started to get that shakey butterfly buzz you get as you watch a fish approach your bait.

The carp started to back off and I gave my line a flick, my little piece of crust fell off the slice right on top of the carps nose.

It could not resist and my 11 foot specimen rod took on a very nice curve as plenty of sidestrain was applied.

The fish bolted out from the bushes into open water and I had a leisurly fight lasting about five minutes which involved several good surges testing my gear and knot.

As she slipped into my net I was suprised at her length and in the back of my mind I had a suspision that I may have achived my yearly goal of a twenty - with my first fish of the campaign.

The result was a long sleak 20lb 4oz mirror carp which I am over the moon with and the bonus that it was caught off the top during a very ad-hoc session! :D

Edited by RUDD

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Nice one Rudd, bet you where well happy. Off after work to do a 48hr session. Hope to get some action my self.

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

Nice one(s)!

With this weather warming up, there should be plenty of opportunities for more surface-caught carp :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE