preparing pellets

davedave

i have recently bought some cheap 6mm expander pellets from pound-land to try, they are dry and in a sealed plastic bag, do i have to soak these, and for how long? Once prepared im guessing they are used as a feed not as hook bait? Thanks very much

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

You can soak them but you really want a tub with a vacuum pump, which by the way, you can buy from Aldi, rather than the tackle shop.

You put a couple of handfuls of pellets in the tub and cover with about double the amount with water, pop the lid on and then pump away until the sides of the tub start to heave inwards, which removes the air from the pellets, which at this point should still be floating. One you take the pump off, the air rushes back in and the pellets should sink to the bottom of your tub. Tip the water into your groundbait, rather than wasting it and then just keep the pellets in a tub with a damp cloth over the top.

You can use them as loose feed or hookers. You can also add flavours to the water before you pump the pellets.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

thanks very much, i will try soaking them overnight first as i don't want to spend £20 on a pump quite yet, this is the first time ive tried pellets so i might not find them very succesful! Thanks again

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Don't give up them if you don't succeed at first mate. Pellets have become a mainstay in my armoury now, whether they're for loosefeed, adding to groundbait or bait itself. 4mm feed pellets will cover you for a multitude of applications. Everything like to eat them.

Click HERE for Lidl vacuum storage containers £7.99

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Don't give up them if you don't succeed at first mate. Pellets have become a mainstay in my armoury now, whether they're for loosefeed, adding to groundbait or bait itself. 4mm feed pellets will cover you for a multitude of applications. Everything like to eat them.

Click HERE for Lidl vacuum storage containers £7.99

I soaked a couple of handfuls in a bait box last night and they seemed ok but they floated? I had to squeeze all the moisture out of them to get them to sink, and by that time they were too mushy to hook, let alone band. Im going to keep trying as they seem good for loosefeed, groundbait and making paste but as far as hookbaits go im not convinced.

Also do the fish get full on them, is a handful every 20 minutes or so too much?? Thanks

I soaked a couple of handfuls in a bait box last night and they seemed ok but they floated? ...... but as far as hookbaits go im not convinced.

They will have floated because you hadnt taken the air out with the vacuum pump. The air deep inside will not be displaced by water unless you suck it out with a vacuum pump. They can also be deadly as a hookbait. You just have to try them. They are very good for carp and bream in particular.

Also do the fish get full on them, is a handful every 20 minutes or so too much?? Thanks

It depends on how many fish, their feeding habits etc but it is always good to have a nice bed of them down as they eventually break into tiny particles and the fish will snout around in the silt/mud to find the source of the particles. Its a good method of holding fish without overfeeding.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk