Is Nymph fishing just like wet fly or lure fishing?

ikilledflipper

I really haven't taken a lot to do with nymph fishing, in fact, putting on a wet fly is sometimes a last resort. I'd like to change this though, and try fishing the nymph.

Could any of you explain the method for nymph fishing small still waters? Any tips would be appreciated. Is it just the same as wet fly fishing?

I bought a book - quite an expensive one titled "tying and fishing the nymph", however, the book is more of a nymph pattern library - which is quite disappointing. I was hoping to recieve some tips and practical advice but instead, a few chapters on entomology were all I was given followed by truckloads of patterns.

I really haven't taken a lot to do with nymph fishing, in fact, putting on a wet fly is sometimes a last resort. I'd like to change this though, and try fishing the nymph.

Could any of you explain the method for nymph fishing small still waters? Any tips would be appreciated. Is it just the same as wet fly fishing?

I bought a book - quite an expensive one titled "tying and fishing the nymph", however, the book is more of a nymph pattern library - which is quite disappointing. I was hoping to recieve some tips and practical advice but instead, a few chapters on entomology were all I was given followed by truckloads of patterns.

Sling it out -pull it back :D :D

Depends i guess on what nymphs you are fishing.Buzzers are probably best fished as slow as you can retrieve them or even just left to swing around in the breeze.You could employ a bung if wished.I usually(where allowed)fish either two or three and simply let them swing around on the wind,perhaps with a sharp draw every now and then.Quite often you will get a vicious take whilst doing this :lol: .Takes however can be very hard to spot at times,thats where the bung comes in :P ,it can be a deadly method to use as it is easy to alter the fishing depth of your buzzers and have a visual indication of takes.

I guess most nymphs should be fished very slowly,ie slow figure of eight retrieve,however there are always exceptions :lol::rolleyes: .

Some of the damsel nymphs are more akin to small lures and as such can be fished that bit faster.

Sling it out -pull it back :D :D

Depends i guess on what nymphs you are fishing.Buzzers are probably best fished as slow as you can retrieve them or even just left to swing around in the breeze.You could employ a bung if wished.I usually(where allowed)fish either two or three and simply let them swing around on the wind,perhaps with a sharp draw every now and then.Quite often you will get a vicious take whilst doing this :lol: .Takes however can be very hard to spot at times,thats where the bung comes in :P ,it can be a deadly method to use as it is easy to alter the fishing depth of your buzzers and have a visual indication of takes.

I guess most nymphs should be fished very slowly,ie slow figure of eight retrieve,however there are always exceptions :lol::rolleyes: .

Some of the damsel nymphs are more akin to small lures and as such can be fished that bit faster.

:lol:

Cheers, because it is difficult sensing a take, would you think a constant figure of 8 retrieve varying in speed would be the best for beginners? I mean, would the constant tension on the line be enough to set the hook?

I guess it would be quite easy watching the floating line lying on the water for takes, I cast too far out to be able to see a leader indicator. A very long leader would be needed I guess if I was using a floating line!