Recommendation

goin_fishin

Dear Gaz???

As you can see there are plenty who are willing to help you in your search for a rod......

But a litle diplomacy when advertising other forums wouldn't go amiss............!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

goin_fishin:

hey could you all recommend a good float/ledger rod (for me) price range form about 20 - 60 quid

For fish like bream , tench , odd carp

Float and leger rods are different things - there aren't too many rods that will do both well. If you must have one rod that does both then consider the Masterline John Wilson Avon rod. It comes with 2 top sections, one a quivertip and one for float. It is designed for rivers though so it may be a bit heavy for what you want.

If you want 2 rods then some of the Masterline Debut series seem good value to me - they do both float and quivertip rods in this range.

I can't claim to have used any rods in this price range in recent years however so I can't really comment on any other brands. A little research in the tackleshop section of http://www.go-fishing.co.uk should give you plenty to go on however.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

I highly recommend the John Wilson Avon Quiver that DavidP mentioned. They are cracking rods that will cover tons of situations - possibly the best all-round rod for course fishing (IMOP).

The quiver is a good "medium" quiver - possibly too heavy for small-fish (gudgeon, whales, that kind of thing), but ideal for rivers or slightly bigger fish (bigger gudgeon, sharks!).

The avon is good for all sorts - float fishing, legering, even light spinning. If I was to float fish all the time, I think I'd rather a slightly longer rod - say 13ft, but if you like to mix and match like I do - this rod does it all (which means less to drag to the bank!)

I've got two of them and I've had carp to 15lb on them. They are rated for lines 3lb-6lb, so are ideal for tench, bream, barbel etc. but I've seen John use them on TV with 8lb, and I use them with 11lb braid without problems. They have a test curve of 1 1/4lb so you aren't going to cast big bombs to the horizon, but it doesn't sound as though this is likely to be your thing anyway.

He has two main types - I have the cheaper "signature" model that you can pick up for about £50, and there is a "heritage" model for about twice that. I've never used the heritage model, but I'd happily buy another "signature"!

I'm a big fan of JW's rods (does it show?), but I know others who aren't, so if you are one of them, then look at other tackle manufactures such as Daiwa, who also have twin tip rods of about the same length and test curve. I'm fairly sure they do similar types which are slightly longer at 12ft, which you might prefer.

Anyway, sorry to rabbit on... :)

Let us know what you pick.

Cheers