Quivertip Bites

luckydenvermint

Been out this morning to a local stillwater where I usually quivertip. Caught a few carp and bream, had a good day but I started getting some drop back bites.

On quite a few occasions the line went slack and the bend in the rod straightened out. I presume this is a bream or carp lifting the bait of the bottom - however this happened four or five times and on all occasions I struck into nothingness.

Should I be striking on these kind of bites or should I be waiting for the line to be pulled tight again? I'm guessing because the baits are hair rigged that the fish are merely holding the bait in the front of their mouths?

In order to get a slack line bite as you describe the fish has to pick up the bait and swim towards you until it moves the feeder/lead, so in my opinion you should definately be striking these bites. My guess is that the fish felt some resistance and spat out the bait before you had time to strike. I'm fairly new to quivertip fishing myself but have had fish from the drop back bites you describe.

Leave only footprints

I think that right.

I have noticed on a river if you get drop backs and you missing them if you can reduce the size of the weight you tend to hook up more.

So yes I think they feel the weight and spit the bait.

Anyone else with ideas ?

In order to get a slack line bite as you describe the fish has to pick up the bait and swim towards you until it moves the feeder/lead, so in my opinion you should definately be striking these bites. My guess is that the fish felt some resistance and spat out the bait before you had time to strike. I'm fairly new to quivertip fishing myself but have had fish from the drop back bites you describe.

Thanks for the reply. I did hit them pretty quickly when the drop back occured - it seemed strange that out of the 5 times I didn't hook into a single fish.

I was using a free running rig as well which I would have thought would still cause a normal bite indication when the fish first took the bait before lifting the lead as well which could maybe be the resistance you mentioned plus the 'drop back' effect.

Guess I will have to keep striking them and my luck will change - have to say I'm not a big fan of drop back bites!

Alternatively you could go with a heavier weight. As the fish tries to move it, it hooks itself against the increased resistance if it is a fixed rig, doesn't really work on a running rig though.

Personally I go lighter on a running rig, before resorting to a fixed rig.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Alternatively you could go with a heavier weight. As the fish tries to move it, it hooks itself against the increased resistance if it is a fixed rig, doesn't really work on a running rig though.

Personally I go lighter on a running rig, before resorting to a fixed rig.

Renrag

Hi Renrag

I find if you use a heavy rig the bait goes off the hook and you dont see any indication of a bite.

Just what I find on my local river.

For me its the lighter rig which works better I agree but I think you always miss a few YES

Gary

Edited by bbamboo

If you're getting that many try float legering.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would update this thread incase anyone else looking into this finds it interesting.

Went to the same place on Monday and again started to get some of these drop back bites. Instead of striking straight away this time I waited a moment or two for another pull, this time with the quivertip bending in the direction of a normal bite. Both times I did this I was successful and resulted in me landing nice Chub twice. I'm presuming Chub can carry a bait without taking it down and me striking was basically striking the bait away from the fish before it had decided to take it fully?