perch

davedave

I have been watching Stewart bloors perch fishing videos on youtube. They are really interesting and would recommend them and his articles, but i just had a few questions i didn't know if you could answer?

1) He uses gudgeon as a dead bait quite often, and in one video i watched he caught a pike, even though he was after perch, i guess that means he must be using wire traces, does that not put the perch off?? Im sure i read somewhere that a lot of the time wire traces put perch off or something? Any ideas??

2) He uses bite alarms, would this be the best method? He fishes lob-worms or freshwater dead-baits most the time and a free running ledger rig. I would of thought, as perch tend to swallow the baits right down a lot of the time that a more sensitive method of bite detection like the quivertip would be better? Any info??

thanks for the feedback, really appreciated. And i would definitely recommend his videos and articles, really interesting. dd

http://www.sicm.org/2010.articles.index.html

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Look at Steve Burke's articles on here - advice from a real perch expert.

Talk of 'best methods' and 'best baits' isn't going to help much, because perch in different environments can behave completely differently. For example, on some waters using a wire trace will result in no perch, while on others (as JV44 says) it doesn't matter. Similarly, some places will be best approached with the float, others with legers and alarms.

Quivertips are generally not great for big perch because the gradual increase in resistance can cause them to drop the bait, but they can still work well sometimes. I've had a few biggies on the tip, but they were unpressured fish.

Sorry if that's not very helpful! But choice of bait and method is usually venue-specific.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have been watching Stewart bloors perch fishing videos on youtube. They are really interesting and would recommend them and his articles, but i just had a few questions i didn't know if you could answer?

1) He uses gudgeon as a dead bait quite often, and in one video i watched he caught a pike, even though he was after perch, i guess that means he must be using wire traces, does that not put the perch off?? Im sure i read somewhere that a lot of the time wire traces put perch off or something? Any ideas??

2) He uses bite alarms, would this be the best method? He fishes lob-worms or freshwater dead-baits most the time and a free running ledger rig. I would of thought, as perch tend to swallow the baits right down a lot of the time that a more sensitive method of bite detection like the quivertip would be better? Any info??

thanks for the feedback, really appreciated. And i would definitely recommend his videos and articles, really interesting. dd

http://www.sicm.org/2010.articles.index.html

As long as you are tight to the lead, an alarm should register any bite almost instantly I would have thought.

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love.