Spool sizes and 100m line - confused!

Spindle

If any Company made a reel to take JUST their special line, they would be limiting sales as some people would buy the reel, but stay with their preferred line,if they can get 100 metres on it! If they had to use a different line , they wouldnt buy the reel!

If you have to buy a special line to fit a special reel! then that would be commercial suicide.

Most reels come with more than 1 spool of different diameters anyway so YOU HAVE A CHOICE!

Either identical BS line,to change quick in the event of a problem (in which case packing the big spool is essential) or different diameter lines for different applications! Tha matchman will go for option 1 (and probably buy spare match spools) The pleasure man for another.

Personally in this instance, I would quite happily buy 2 spools of 100 metres, remain 10 m overfilled for how long? 5 to 6 sessions, before discarded line brings down the length to 190 or below(which as pointed out, I am never gonna use in one long trot). Next season, reverse the line and I know I'm 100 metres up front.

Dont take the advice as instruction! Use the old Common.

Cheers

Zip

you cant have a different reel in your box for every different breaking strain of line, you might want to fish 2lbs line the next customer might want to use the reel to fish 4lbs line, you cant have a spool to suit everybody,you'll have to take a bit of time and alter the spool to your needs, if they only sold reels that could only take 2lbs line, then we would have something to moan about.

I agree teepee. However, I'm simply saying, if the smallest spools Daiwa sell hold 190m of 2lb line, why only sell 100m spools of 2 lb line (and then say in the brochure "designed for this reel"). Oh well, it ain't a perfect world!

Personally I don't have the problem - on my centrepins I use less that 100m, and on my fixed spools and multipliers I usually buy big bulk spools of 1000m or so.

spindle your could be right, may be a sales gimic but at least that spool will allow you to fish 2-5lbs line,most of the time shops buy line in boxes of 10 spools that are all joined together they probably want you to buy 2 spools of line, there has been some reels in the past with spools that only took 100yds. and like larry1 says you could get custom made spools for the close faced reels that would take only 50-60 yds. of line to get over the bedding in of line,

like you say its not a perfect world,

maybe they mean the quality of that line suits the reel not the quantity,

anyway may your lines allways be tight, :)

all the best,

If they sell their line in joined spools then it's easy - you buy 2 spools. I would think they sell spools in 100m lengths because that's the traditional way to sell it. Selling it on 200m spools would require retooling in the factory to change the spools and would make the line seem far more expensive than the competitors even though the spool is twice the size.

Beats me though why anybody would want to put 190 yards of 2lb line on a reel anyway - you're not going to be casting a long way with 2lb line and you're not going to be fishing for fish that are going to run off 100 yards!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.