CATMEAT ON THE POLE

PETERGEEGEE

I AM FISHING THE POLE IN SIX FEET OF WATER.I AM USING A 1G FLOAT AND THE SHOT PATTERN IS BULK No8s TWO FEET FROM THE 10'' HOOKLENGTH WITH No 10 DROPPERS BELOW THAT.I FIND THAT BECAUSE OF THE BUOYANCY OF THE MEAT I GET TANGLES AMONGST THE DROPPERS.

HELP.....

OK, I'd suggest 2 things.

First, make sure you 'cast' the line onto the water rather then just drop it straight down. By this I mean swing the rig so that it lands on the water lengthways and thus puts maximum distance between the bait and the shot as they start to sink.

The second point is perhaps the more significant however - your shotting pattern (stay with me here - this could be difficult to explain). The bulk shot will drop much faster than the droppers & bait. Because this is in the middle of the rig it will make the line into a V shape as it sinks with the float at the top on one side and the bait at the top on the other. As the bulk drops the float is effectively fixed in position and so the V gets tighter and the meat is pulled towards the float. By the time the bulk is tight against the float the bait and droppers could potentially be more or less directly above the bulk and so when the meat sinks it is quite likely that it will catch on the remaining shot as it falls past them. Did that make sense?

Anyway, the best way I can think to fix it is one of two options. The first would be to fish with all your shot nearer the hook and then only 1 dropper or even none at all. The second (and my personal choice) would be to spread your bulk out so that the weight on the line is more evenly spaced but with the weights getting less the further down the line you go. By making the weight more spread out and progressively lighter as you get nearer the hook the rig will fall through the water in a more even 'pendulum' arc using the float as the pivot point. That way, provided you 'cast' the rig as I mentioned earlier, the hookbait is kept much further from the shot and hence there is less chance of a tangle.

OK, I hope that made some kind of sense. It's one of those things that's far easier to demonstrate than describe!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

i'd agree with the previous comments, 1 thing i would add is that if you are encountering problems with the rig tangeling then fish without any droppers just a bulk about half depth.

hi i fished with cat meat today and found that a 0.5 gr carp 2 float was sufficient with just 2 no6 half way down with the meat sinking well on its own also when the meat decided to come off it wouid register on the float i fished just touching bottom with o.14 main and 0.12 bottom hook was a kamasan animal 14 barbless i found that cat meat was good for bringing in the 1 to 2 pounders but luncheon meat with sensas shake and crazy bait gold worket far better

i wood step up the float if i was fishing a deeper venue as this place is only 4 feet deep

also if i was fishing in 8 feet of water i wouid bulk the shot around 3 quarters down without a droper again just keep experimenting and never be afraid to try some think new