Clipping up question (newbie)

garyb72

OK, so I understand the concept of clipping up, ie you can cast to the same position with relative ease but what I am struggling to get my head around is.... after casting out to the right spot you have to remove the line from the clip to allow the carp to take line off the reel (else the rod could be pulled in) so when you get a fish how do you then cast back out to the same spot as the line is no longer clipped up. I have seen that you can tie pole elastic to the line or put a piece of electrical tape around the line once clipped up but how does that help exactly? Does it mean you have to walk the line out on the back to the marker and then re-clip up again (not ideal as would take too long and not enough space to do this for me) or are you supposed to recast the line to a different spot (not to your baited spot else you could spook the fish) and when reeling in you stop when you see the marker, clip up and recast back to your baited location?

I just need to get my head around this concept. Only been fishing for a few months (carp) since doing some as a kid 20yrs ago so learning every day...

Gary.

recast the line to a different spot (not to your baited spot else you could spook the fish) and when reeling in you stop when you see the marker, clip up and recast back to your baited location?

Gary.

I think that you have got it although if you have the room around your swim, it can be helpfu to mark out the distances and put markers down so that you can check and replicate if your marker on the line has moved which can and does happen.

I've tried a few different ways and found just a small bit of electrical tape is the least likely to slip and least likely to foul the line when you cast. I always make sure the line marker is at the bottom of the spool when I'm reeling in so it doesn't catch when you cast back out.

Leave only footprints

Depends on the circumstance for me. If I am fishing at long range or for species I dont expect to go screaming off then I mark the line with floss/elastic and just keep the line in the clip.

If I expect the fish to run (either as Im targetting/expecting certain species or fishing close in) I still mark the line the same but instead of using the clip I use a rubber band around the spool.Stops the line accurate enough (can always adjust slightly if necessary using the mark as reference) on the cast but allows the line to come off against the drag.

If Im fishing really tight up against something and Im using the clip to stop overcasting into the feature I simply accept that I will have to "re set" it after each fish.Don't have to be along the bank as you can simply cast out away from your chosen/baited area and then wind in until you can clip up at the correct place again before making your "proper cast.

And finally you can use a loop of line over your mainline to hold the line in the clip.Pulls out fine if you have a fish that runs but keeps it in the clip for recasting when you re bait/just wind in.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• 3 weeks later...
If Im fishing really tight up against something and Im using the clip to stop overcasting into the feature I simply accept that I will have to "re set" it after each fish.Don't have to be along the bank as you can simply cast out away from your chosen/baited area and then wind in until you can clip up at the correct place again before making your "proper cast.

And finally you can use a loop of line over your mainline to hold the line in the clip.Pulls out fine if you have a fish that runs but keeps it in the clip for recasting when you re bait/just wind in.

Don't quite follow this bit Budgie, could you elaborate? I also use the electrical tape as a marker but find it difficult to remove without fear of damaging the line - anyone have a quick method?

Ok Jim I will try again.

When Im fishing tight up against a feature and dont want to overcast I make a perfect cast in daylight and mark the line so that I can place it in the clip when I next cast and avoid over casting. If I dont want to leave it in the clip whilst fishing I take it out.Before I recast I will need to strip the line off untill I get to the mark and then put it back in the clip,rewind then cast.You can either do this by paying line out on the bank or simply casting out away from the feature your fishing inro open watermthen rewinding untill you get to the mark etc etc.

The "loop in the clip" method. Mark your line up as normal but instead of putting it in the clip loop a short length of line or elastic over it and put the tag ends of this loop into the clip.Wind in as normal,When you cast the loop (especially with elastic) will stay in enough to only allow the cast to go the correct distance but can be pulled out (allowing the line to be taken as normal) by either a fish or the angler even under tension.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Don't quite follow this bit Budgie, could you elaborate? I also use the electrical tape as a marker but find it difficult to remove without fear of damaging the line - anyone have a quick method?

Another way that doesn't need you to use a marker at all on your line is to use the two bank stick trick.

Just cast to where you want to fish then clip up and wind in. Then push two bank sticks in the ground a few feet (say 10 if you have space) apart. Placing your rig at the foot of one of the bank sticks let your line out and rap it round the two bank sticks counting the number of times it go's around them.

Now you can unwind it all and cast to your spot and unclip. To reclip before recasting, just rap it back round the bank sticks the right number of times and reclip.

Might sound slow and hard work, but it isn't really.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep