WHY (BUT DIFFERENT)

fishingmad1

You could have also wrote it as WHY DO ADULTS GET RUN DOWN BY KIDS AND IGNORED...

I`ve seen this a lot and glad that my 4 will mind both my wife & myself...

RONAN

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

Just a thought on the Uncle thing. In this day and age do you think it's wise young children talking to strangers in remote places like on the banks? With all the things you see and hear on the news who is to know that tomorrows angler isn't talking to todays child molester.rapist or MURDERER. :mad:

So Fishingmad 1 take my advise and think twice before you talk to strangers.

Do I have a point!!!!!

Peter I've already got nephews and a neice and it cost me a small fortune when I see them. I don't want to be another uncle but maybe a big brother(not as 1984).

This season we are going to try some kids matches at TJ's that should be fun. Gonna try some tuition aswell. :)

Fishingmad 1

By the way how old are you?

[ 17 February 2002, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Ferret1959 ]

I'm no expert on human nature and I would never claim to be. But here's my theory on it.

I think that the vast majority of you will agree that the attention span of a, say, 8 year old is alot less than that of a, say, 30 to 50 year old.

An 8 year old will get bored very quickly if nothing is happening, whereas a more mature person is more willing to sit it out and see if anything happens.

This applies to fishing where Dad take junior out on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon down to the local lake, pond or river. If nothing is doing for any length of time then junior will take off and LOOK for action rather than change tactic and wait for the action to start. This invariably means change peg. Let's face it, no youngster I know can sit in the same place for long anyway. So, off junior goes to find some fish, trying several different pegs in the process.

The problem is greater when junior takes his mate finshing with him. You then get two youngsters going round pegs trying to find fish. On alarger water, it's usually only a matter of minutes until they are both out the sight of Dad. It's not their fault, but alot of kids haven't heard the phrase " Study To Be Quiet ". The ensueing noise does disturb other anglers who are there for a quiet days fishing.

Maybe it would be a better idea if next time a youngster come up to an angler and starts asking questions about what bait to use, where to fish, what you caught that day and which method you used. Just think, if you are catching and you pass this knowledge on to the youngsters in a way that doesn't make them feel like they have just asked the stupidest question in the world, they may start to catch fish just like you are (usually kids will ask the bloke who "appears" to be catching the most to them first. If that is you, feel honoured not angry). Once they are catching fish they will be quiet. If the fish stop biting and they get restless, instruct them on changing tactic. If they start on the fish again...peace.

The same goes for Dads. Rather than letting junior go off and look for the fish. Do your best to make the fish come to you. If junior is still restless and bored, maybe it's time to go home.

Tight lines.

Chris.

Ferret1959:

Just a thought on the Uncle thing. In this day and age do you think it's wise young children talking to strangers in remote places like on the banks? With all the things you see and hear on the news who is to know that tomorrows angler isn't talking to todays child molester.rapist or MURDERER. :mad:

So Fishingmad 1 take my advise and think twice before you talk to strangers.

Do I have a point!!!!!

Peter I've already got nephews and a neice and it cost me a small fortune when I see them. I don't want to be another uncle but maybe a big brother(not as 1984).

This season we are going to try some kids matches at TJ's that should be fun. Gonna try some tuition aswell. :)

Fishingmad 1

By the way how old are you?

Yes Ferret you do have a point i have 2 girls and a boy 9 to 14 who all enjoy fishing it worries me sick when thay all go off to the local lake especialy when i was a kid 13 or14 a man tried to attack me luckily i ran faster than him to my dad who befor calling the cops looked for the pervert but did not find but fortunately he was a local man and was caught (A FINE AND SUSPENDED SENTANCE?) HAPPILY HE TOPPED HIMSELFE 2 YRS LATER

Not a bad age to be an angler. Girl Friends are round the corner Fishing Mad, they can be a great problem to a keen angler though! A woman who can put up with maggots & deadbaits in the fridge is a rare beast. Stick to angling, life will be so much more simpler . If you have to give into the lure of girl friends then make sure she likes angling! :)

yeah 15 is a good age, what else could ya ask for girls and then fishing, my names jon by the way. Yeah right about women not liking maggots in fridge. Ive only got them in my mums fridge once when ive wrapped them in about 1 million bags

:) NEVER STOP FISHING EVERYONE :):):):P:)

Jon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)