Cheap Lifejackets

Elton

Whilst on the subject, is there anyone out there can advise me / point me in the right direction of some sort of jacket etc that would be appropriate for a very young child?

I've got a strappin' little boy, just short of 2 and a half years old, who doesn't swim (yet!) In a month or so the plan is to be afloat with him and mum in a decent quality inflatable, in good weather, almost certainly on still / static stretches of rivers or lakes ... probably very rarely more than 30 / 40 metres from bankside, most times much less.

Under any normal circumstances, I can swim like the proverbial fish, so the main issue here is likely making sure the little beggar stays floating and head-up until I get to him, likely within seconds, IF he gets a little too well-acquainted with the wet stuff ... which, like most little boys, he loves :D

Price-wise it's a trade-off between keeping him safe, which naturally outweighs any other consideration, and the reality that it'll see maybe 3 months of use before being outgrown by next year. I'm guessing comfort (for him) has also got to play a part, as unless wearing it is part of the 'fun' for him, practicality is likely to be very limited.

Has anyone any ideas or thoughts, preferably based on experience ... apart from keeping him on dry land? :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_70uqyrk7po_b

• 5 months later...

Hi gents,

... new to sea fishing, new to the topic, I do have a question.

Automatic lifejackets: can't they open accidently when a wave hits the wearer?

I would like to buy one, but don't know whether to get a manual or automatic one.

I'll be fishing off boats but also surfcasting.

Any hints appreceated,

Joachim

As far as I'm aware, they need submersion to go off. Mine has never gone off by getting a splash and I've never heard of one going off before.

The advice at the foot of this article sums it up:

http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/Lifejackets-Automatic.htm

Manual or automatic lifejackets?

Leave the manual only lifejackets for pilots. When a plane ditches in the sea a pilot needs to escape before inflating his lifejacket to avoid being trapped.

Many chandlers will happily sell you a manual only lifejacket. Why? - Because they are cheaper, they dont have the automatic inflator, so they are slightly cheaper to produce.

Believe us the last thing you need to worry about in a survival situation is manually activating your life jacket inflator!

Imagine getting knocked unconcious on the way into the water, not uncommon on a yacht, if you were unconcious a manual life jacket will do nothing for you.

Pay the extra few pounds and get an automatic lifejacket.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE