mixing groundbait for method

paul pretlove

i know this is so very simple but i can never do it right. When i mix the groundbait it gets lumpy in some areas and powdery in others i cant get a good mix throughout :( . Im using cats and dogs method mix with some strawberry addictive(groundbait) and once its mixed im add hemp and some tiny pellets. could anyone give me some advice on how to mix the perfect method mix texture plz any advice would be brilliant. im going tommorow and hope to use it so do i mix it now ?? plz help

paul

I use cats and dogs myself. I like the frenzy tench and the nutty carp best. But if you want to get a nice consistent mix you will have to riddle it. This is to seperate all those lumps. If you dont have a riddle just stick your hands in and rub your pams togeter with mix between them. This also breaks up big bits.

Regards

Ed 'Herefords bagging machine'

www.kingfisher-club.vze.com

Yup, a riddle is the best answer & a maggot riddle will do fine. Otherwise try the following - always use a round bowl and add the water slowly bit by bit. After each watering make sure it's well mixed in before adding the next and make sure that you keep all the groundbait moving ie don't let it stick to the sides or bottom. Keep adding water until you think the consistency is right. This is the point to then use the riddle. Add your freebies to the mix then let the bait stand for 5 or 10 minutes. At this point you'll probably need to add a little more water as the bait will have absorbed quite a bit.

For adding water the most useful thing I've found is a sponge - it's easy to fill with water even if you can't reach the water by hand (stick it in the landing net), and it's easy to add water one-handed whilst still mixing.

Another good suggestion is an atomiser bottle (houseplant spray bottles are good and cost 99p in many stores). This is not for the initial mixing as it's too slow, but for the final water addition, and particularly for maintaining the groundbait whilst fishing. They're excellent because they add the water in a fine spray over the whole surface so it doesn't cause lumps.

[ 23 June 2002, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: davidP ]

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.