richmond deer park

matt09

There are supposed to be some big ones in the Diana in bushy park and there's a picture of a guy with a big carp in the anglers mail which looks to me like the heron pond (next door).

The problem with the royal parks is that you pay your money and spend all year screaming at dog walkers.

Kitson:

There are supposed to be some big ones in the Diana in bushy park and there's a picture of a guy with a big carp in the anglers mail which looks to me like the heron pond (next door).

The problem with the royal parks is that you pay your money and spend all year screaming at dog walkers.

Diana Fountain Bushy Park, I used to carp fish that way back in 1976, Biggest I saw on the bank back then was just over 15lbs. Loads and loads of small commons, with quite a few low double commons.

Most of the bigger carp in there used to be Mirrors, well they were then. Until one day when I caught a 7lb mirror, smashing looking fish though.

The Heron, never ever fished it, even though it was next door. It used to be stuffed full of small carp, and people used to fish it almost shoulder to shoulder. Mind you I have seen Diana like that as well, normaly at weekends.

Dogs, hmmmmm, had loads of rows in Bushey Park with dog owners, bloody things always off leads charging about. The park rules do state that they are meant to be on a lead at all times.

The other side at Hampton court, the Palace side, had the Long Water, do not know what is in there now, but back then there where was some real big carp, only dabbled for them in there though, nothing serious. The water is big, with only a very few big fish. Wether those carp are still there today I do not know, if they are they must be record breakers, because as I say they were huge in the 70`s.

Richmond Park, only recall seeing two lakes in there, the BIG one where the forty resides, and a smaller one that at the time all the pike anglers used to fish. The big one used to be fenced off not even halfway round, so if all the fish are up the other end, you might as well go home. You will find people do and have jumped this fence in the past to catch a certain carp that lives in there.

All the parks used to be one rod only as well, this may well of changed also. We used to play silly games with the wardens in Bushey Park. We always used to setup two rods, the two rods would be no more than their normal distance apart. Along would come a warden, stand there, then ask, "How many rods you using", "One", would be the reply, "I see two rods there", "Yup, ones me mates, he has gone to the shops". The wardens that knew us as regulars, and knew that we behaved ourselves used to leave us alone, providing it was not to busy. I have sat at Diana Fountain with one other, yup just two people fishing, that was weekdays though.

What these parks are like now, I have no idea, but your question sure sparked lots of good fishing memories.

I have heard there are some big Pike and Tench in the longwater.

I used to fish the leg-o-mutton every week - great carp fun to be had, they tend to average around the 3-4Lb mark(mostly commons).

Almost every fish you catch in there will have horrific scars and tears where hooks have just been ripped out.

A couple of years ago it was invaded by these little crabs (chinese mitten crabs apparently) which would nick your luncheon meat and tangle or cut your line - they've all gone now though.

Kitson:

I have heard there are some big Pike and Tench in the longwater.

I used to fish the leg-o-mutton every week - great carp fun to be had, they tend to average around the 3-4Lb mark(mostly commons).

Almost every fish you catch in there will have horrific scars and tears where hooks have just been ripped out.

A couple of years ago it was invaded by these little crabs (chinese mitten crabs apparently) which would nick your luncheon meat and tangle or cut your line - they've all gone now though.

We used to fish the Longwater regular for the Tench, great sport. I never saw anybody pike fishing the Longwater, but then it was quite some time ago that I was last there.

There used to be some nice tench in the water at the top end of the Longwater, opposite end to the palace.

Have you ever looked at the pond/lake next to the Longwater, It is on the righthand side as you look up the Longwater from the palace end, I seem to recall that it hads a house or building of some sort next to it. Do not know if you are allowed to fish it though. We fished it once, nobody said anything, we saw no fish and caught nothing.

[ 10 April 2002, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Chris Shaw ]