Unhooking mats and Keepnets.

Gaffer

They're buggers those match fishermen aren't they?

Why is every thread about keepnets an invitation to moan about match fishers? :(

There are some fish fatalities during matches, I would say 99% because of deep hooking. But, if you return the fish straight away you really don't know whether they have survived or not, but your conscience is clear.

And the guys who collect their dead baits after matches? How do they obtain natural deads otherwise, surely they don't catch roach and kill them for that purpose.

On St Patrick's Stream we have had problems with barbel dying, they were put back too soon, went belly up and were swept downstream. In the matches, they would have been in nets and something could have been done about it, happened to me once. I don't remember any match I have attended there where a barbel died.

Come on! Stop bitching. ALL sections of fishing have bad fishermen. Nets are fine if the users have half a brain, buy them big enough, stake them out, be careful when emptying them, just take care! :)

Actually coxie, some but not all match fishers are buggers. I am Secretary of a club where the controlling interest is match based and anything in favour of either carp or pike fishing is treated with disdain. I have an ongoing battle with all sorts of things from 3 rods to pro-pike rules (Not to mention night fishing).

Actully my friends buy their coarse deads from tackle shops, but can only get them for a limited period. I would add that the 'deads after matches' is not regular practice.

Cheers :P:P

Jon

Coxie,

You misunderstand, I kill fish all the time occasionly by accident a carp, but usually other species and on purpose.

I just don't have a keepnet or landing net or unhooking mat. Things are MUCH different here in the US. Probably less than 1% of US fishermen own two of the three items I mention. .01 unhooking mat.

Phone

Two countries divided by a common language. (Newt)