Canal Carp in the city...what baits / tactics

John 'BLOCK'

Hi i have been observing carp in a bay area in the city of london ... there are not many anglers that fish the canal there and those that do had no idea that there were carp there...very little is caught of any size and most people i see are piking and there are pike there.

the quandry i have is what baits to use...i have tried bread paste and as a floater..with no joy.

loads of bread goes in the canal !!

I cant beleive that these fish are rig shy or anything like that..(they are never fished for !)..so any suggestions...the banks are all concrete and i reckon the only natural bait that goes in there are flies and insects !!

So any ideas ? always appreciated

[ 24 April 2002, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: John 'BLOCK' ]

John "The Block" Westley

Go to your local aquarium, freshwater pond shop, or pet shop, tackleshop, and buy yourself some trout pellets. There are loads to choose from these days.

Grind them up, mix in some eggs to make a nice firm paste, make into sorta bait shape pieces, they not have to be perfect balls. Bait up the area/areas that you have seen these carp on a regular basis, maybe for a couple of weeks.

Then when you fish it you will not need anything clever for a rig, just an ordinary free running rig with say a size 4 hook, squeeze/mould a nice size piece of your chosen trout pellet paste around the hook, cast it in, chuck some pieces of your paste bait around it, sit back and wait.

Thinking about it even maggots may catch those carp.

[ 24 April 2002, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Chris Shaw ]